What's new

Doubleclick on part file opens new Instance of Home Window

Seppsche

Hi,
there is an annoying bug in V2011 when you open Alibre files with doubleclick from the explorer.
With any double click opening of a Alibre file a new instance of the home window is generated, which you have to close manually afterwards.

Who the hell needs this daffy home window? NOBODY really needs it!
It only fills up the desktop and the taskbar.

When do the officials catch that every setting or file operations can be smoothly integrated in the part/assembly window menue!
Most of them are already reachable from that windows, the rest could easily be integrated.

Attachments

• Home.png
    Home.png
    87.4 KB · Views: 58

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Please don't let Alibre to run only one instance.
I need this to run multiple.

However for any programmer, it is the simplest way to use 'enum processes' to enumerate the processes running on Windows system.
If I were to do the single process software run mode, I will add the mode to run with number of processes one can run.
With such an option, I don't mind to have such multi process disabled feature.

Please post in the enhancement vote site.
And correct your supporter.

But I need to run multiple of Alibre quite often, so I want it as an option, not default.

Reference;
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Search ... 8b5030302b)%20site:microsoft.com&ac=3

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums ... 6F2BDA5C55

But these are de-fact standard procedure for every novice programmer.
So Alibre knows, for sure, that they can make it, needless to say.

It's totally their choices whether they let Alibre single or multiple.
And I want multiple processes on single computer often.

:wink:

Seppsche

Hi Toshi,
you still play the dillution part at Alibre Design. :twisted:
The problem isn't single/multi, the problem are multiple useless windows on desktop and taskbar!
Just one Alibre Home window is one too much, since it's use can smootly buildt in the main part/assembly/sheetmetal/.. window.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I for one like being able to have a home window for Alibre. I also sometimes like to minimize it to the task tray icon so it is not displayed and not in the task bar. You can find the program I made to do this here: http://www.alibre.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11317 Its not a perfect solution but I'm working on it.

As for a new home window for each time you double click on a file - that should never ever happen. The only way to start a new Alibre home window should be to run the program again from its icon.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Seppsche said:
Hi Toshi,
you still play the dillution part at Alibre Design. :twisted:
The problem isn't single/multi, the problem are multiple useless windows on desktop and taskbar!
Just one Alibre Home window is one too much, since it's use can smootly buildt in the main part/assembly/sheetmetal/.. window.
You should not mention in the manner like this. Luckily, I don't take it as an personal offence against me.

Have you understood that Alibre could make as you wish for ,by looking at the site(s) I posted?
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums ... 6F2BDA5C55

They can, and they don't.

Please do post in the enhancement request.

Seppsche

Hi Toshi,
as Nate correctly states, "this should never happen", because he also realized that this is an annoying bug.
Do we newly have to fill out an enhancement request if we detect a bug? :shock:
I noticed this tendency several times the last days/weeks.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
I can open as many Excel as possible.

Do you say this is bug also?

If yes, I need to agree. Else, go and post your enhancement request.

But, I need a few instances for Alibre to launch. And you don't need it.
So, please don't forget to mention your request as an optional feature.

I have been asking you to do whatever you want to do to Alibre.
But you are only wasting your time here for nothing.

Do the enhancement request, please.
:x

ASP

? does Excel have a home-window ? I don't think so - so that's not the same.
If Alibre does not have this Home-Window it would be normal that each file open gets its own process.
I like the possibility to have more than one instance too, but it should not start another instance if there
is no need for it.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Toshi, I think that two issues are being mixed up in this discussion.

1) Multiple instances of Alibre starting when double clicking on a file is a bug and has been confirmed by Max:
Max said:
This issue:
When double clicking a file - this should not happen and is not by design. We are investigating. It doesn't happen on most machines, so we are trying to pin down the circumstances.

2) Allowing multiple instances to be started by double clicking on the Alibre Icon is by design but may be removed at some point again per Max:
Max said:
Other consideration:
You are currently allowed to manually start 2+ instances of Alibre Design by clicking on the program icon multiple times. That is by design but will probably be removed at some point.
This exact topic has come up before and can be found here: http://forum.alibre.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12040&p=72938#p72938

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
There is actually another issue discussed here:
3) Having a home window at all. I believe this has come up more than once. I believe it should not be removed entirely but instead be a user preference option to choose: A) To leave it as is. B) To hide it only when another Alibre workspace window is open. Or C) To never show it.

memiles

I think a re-install may work. I did the install 100% the way Alibre recommended and do not have that issue. I can double click on any part/assy and get multiple parts but only one home window.

Waiting on Nate telling me I'm fibbing again....

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
memiles said:
Waiting on Nate telling me I'm fibbing again....
:shock: I'm not even sure what this is about. :? I apologize if that is what my previous comments here seemed like. I was actually trying to help out Toshi since the way we (native english speakers) say things sometimes gets mixed up in translation. The english language is very messy and chaotic.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
OK, here is my apology on misunderstanding.
It seems that there is a problem on clicking on Alibre file.
But I have never had such symptom.

I checked with Alibre support on this issue, so far I got 'No problem' on this.
I don't get the reply 'No problem', but it seems to me that they are working on it.

So, please keep continue on discussing on this issue.

Again, so sorry for interruption.

Best regards.

Seppsche

Hi
wathavy4 said:
...I don't get the reply 'No problem', but it seems to me that they are working on it....
it seem's to me they were not working (sucessfully) on it.
Still the same bug here with the newest final release V56.

The worst message is from Max: This is the last build we are doing of 2011 unless something major happens, but we do not currently feel that will be the case
Was this bug not major enough?

BTW: Windows XP-SP3

Seppsche

Hi Toshi,
WHAT :?: :?:
Uploading a video showing double clicking on a file in the explorer? :shock:

Can't you imagine how a bunch of home windows look like, especially after you have seen the picture above?
And can't you imagine how to open a Alibre Part with a double click on it in the windows explorer?

Try it with Windows XP!
As for me he is the technical reference in the forum - and he is independent- i asked Ralf3 if he can test that behaviour on one of his PC's.
Yesterday in the evening he confirmed that bug on his XP machine.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn't help you, but my main WinXP-SP3 machine doesn't behave like this. Double-clicking on another file just opens another workspace, not a home window.

I'll try on my 64 bit XP machine later today to see if behaviour is the same.

ASP

Still the same here with the final release .56 on WinXP SP3
doubleclick on an AD-file opens a HomeWindow and then the file.
doubleclick on another file opens another Homewindow and that file.
- No Problem on Win7(x64)

ASP

btw: if I open a prt/asm or whatever by doubleclicking in explorer Alibre does not load my custom toolbars !
If I choose open from homewindow it shows my toolbars correct.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
With XP 32 bit SP 3, all service packs..., Admin....and AD 2011...56 /32 bit:

Double-click on an AD-file opens a "Home-Window" and the file.
Double-click on another file opens a new "Home-Window" and the file.

Attachments

• AD-Doppelklick.png
    AD-Doppelklick.png
    351 KB · Views: 51