What's new

Doubly reflected light in Keyshot....

JST

Alibre Super User
I see that sometimes it works, but sometimes not also.

What I mean is that if I have a lightsource in the ceiling, it illuminates the floor, and all the objects. The reflected light then should also illuminate the ceiling.

I have a model with 9 light sources in various places, 6 as "can lights" in the ceiling of a room model. The others are under cabinets, or inside them (glass-front). All are specified as area diffused, as that seems the most "natural", vs "point diffused".

The ceiling in this model remains in deep black shadow, despite the floor etc having reflective properties. This seems wrong, and I don't understand why it occurs, when I see the light reflecting off surfaces in the model. Of course my viewpoint is in a different place.

But the "room" is very bright, and the ceiling is still deep black. So are the tops of recesses that should get reflected light.

I DO see reflections in glass windows, etc. So some of the reflectivity is working. And obviously the light coming off the lighted objects is going in all directions, or should be. I see it, why does the ceiling not "see it"?

If I point a light source AT the ceiling, it is lit up.

Here is an example... the ACTUAL ceiling color is white, if there is any question.....

Attachments

• boring version with only some materials applied..jpg
    boring version with only some materials applied..jpg
    638.5 KB · Views: 9

JST

Alibre Super User
Yes, and ground reflections being "on" made little to no difference.

Turning "ground shadows" to "off" WITH "ground reflections" set to "on", did improve things, however. They do not explain that well. Ground shadows "on" was the default.

new version

Attachments

• better lighting ground reflections on, shadows off.jpg
    better lighting ground reflections on, shadows off.jpg
    898.2 KB · Views: 9

JST

Alibre Super User
jhiker said:
Have you posted on the Keyshot user forum? Some very helpful people over there.

I would not mind doing that, but when I try to register, it goes into a black hole, and I never get the activation email. The email address is good, I copied it directly, and active, I use it all the time. but no results. Also no errors from their automated system, at least none that I saw. Their system does not comment if anything is wrong, it just ignores the request, and everything looks as if it went through, even though it was rejected.

Well, now it returns a "could not open socket" error, so I suppose the problem is that it is "broken" at the moment and likely has been for a while.. I'll have to try later.