What's new

Drawing pipe fittings

bbanna

Being an extreme new user, although owning it for over 5 years, I am still learning the basics.

I am sur ethis is easy, but how do 3D a spline?

For example, I want to draw some pipe fitting for a scale model project so I can get them 3D printed. I can draw the centerline of the fitting, but is there a comand that allows you to pick the centerline and then give it a diameter and the tool will create the circular 3D path?

Sorry for such a basic question.

Also, is there a really good book published to help me with these basic commands and help me learn more?

Thanks

Brian

neilr

mostly not sure what you want what kind of fitting are you after? google a pic of something similar so we have it to work with.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Hi, I thought I posted the similar query and MilesH and some others had guided me then.
The tutorial will do but the point is, you need to have 2D sketch that uses the 3D spline as the guide curve.

I guess I could show an example... hung on. :)

Have you gone through this tutorial anyway?

Attachments

• 2011-09-24_071110.png
    2011-09-24_071110.png
    100.6 KB · Views: 29
bbanna said:
Being an extreme new user, although owning it for over 5 years, I am still learning the basics.

I am sur ethis is easy, but how do 3D a spline?

For example, I want to draw some pipe fitting for a scale model project so I can get them 3D printed. I can draw the centerline of the fitting, but is there a comand that allows you to pick the centerline and then give it a diameter and the tool will create the circular 3D path?

Sorry for such a basic question.

Also, is there a really good book published to help me with these basic commands and help me learn more?
Brian -- Get ready to throw some $$$ on the table. Print out the User's Guide! It cost me about $45 to have it printed out on drilled paper ready to load into a 3 inch 3-ring binder. That way you can read through it like a book -- even when you are sitting on the can!

Look up 3D Sketching in the User's Guide to learn how to draw a 3D spline. There are several tricks you will need to learn, but they should be (mostly) obvious after you work through the User's Guide.

The command you are looking for to make (say) a pipe elbow is the Sweep Boss (conventionally called a Directrix Controlled Extrusion) or a Loft Boss (conventionally called a Transition). The Sweep will allow you to extrude an OD & ID sketch along a path called a Guide Curve. This will create an elbow of constant diameter (though you can get fairly close to a street elbow by adding draft). The Loft Boss allows you to set your cross-sections in sequence (you will have to construct an appropriate set of reference planes to control your sketches) with greater accuracy when dealing with street elbows.

I hope this helps.