What's new

Drawing Revision Markers

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
Maybe I'm just too old school, but doesn't anyone else use a marker next to a revision on a drawing?

Protocol that I've followed for a long time (a very long time :roll: ) had been to mark any changes on a drawing with the revision number inscribed in a triangle next to the change. This helps the reviewer, machinist, and other engineers to quickly identify where changes have been made.

It's time consuming to do with the drawing package in AD, drawing an isoceles triangle, adding text. Not really difficult, but if the "Regular Polygon" tool were available it would be a great help.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
dmckee101 said:
Maybe I'm just too old school, but doesn't anyone else use a marker next to a revision on a drawing?

Protocol that I've followed for a long time (a very long time :roll: ) had been to mark any changes on a drawing with the revision number inscribed in a triangle next to the change. This helps the reviewer, machinist, and other engineers to quickly identify where changes have been made.

It's time consuming to do with the drawing package in AD, drawing an isosceles triangle, adding text. Not really difficult, but if the "Regular Polygon" tool were available it would be a great help.

Revision Triangles, Yes, we use them at work all the time. That is all the shop has to tell them where the changes on the drawing have taken place . I would think it would be something that could be added very simply. As good as Alibre is, it is not very ANSI/ASME compliant on some of its detailing features.

I tried to make a custom symbol but without much luck. I can get the lines for the triangle, but not the text inside.

In SolidWorks the Revision Triangle is available as an option in the Balloon command.

H

aeromorrison

This isn't old school at all--just good drawing practice. It also gets quite important on products that are government regulated to assist with configuration management. It is also really helpful on complicated drawings. I have found myself missing this as well.

cclark440

Alibre Super User
I do this offten.

I have created a custom symbol with a text field in it. I just insert it into my drawing, then exploded it, and change the text.
I will look into it again. to see exactly how I created the symbol.

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
Clint, yeah please check into that. I've looked quite a few times and can't seem figure it out. Sounds like it could be helpful to several people here.
(Maybe I should ask my wife she knows where every thing is. :lol: )

aeromorrison

Yes...clearly this can be done just as cclark440 has pointed out. It is just a bit cumbersome without the use of an AutoHotkey script or something.

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
Part of my problem is never knowing what word to search for. So I searched for "Create Custom Symbol" and found exactly what I was looking for. And this is not complicated like cclark440 or aeromorrison suggest. I think it's pretty simple.

The process (for doing it in a drawing) is like this;
1)Activate sketch.
2)Draw the marker shape you want.
3)On menu under "Sketch> Text> Field" add a field and place it in the shape you just drew.
4)Under "Sketch> Create Custom Symbol" choose the lines of the shape and the field you added and save.

Now that it's saved you can insert it anytime, any drawing.

A)Open a new drawing and activate sketch.
B)Under "Sketch> Insert Custom Symbol" in the dialog box choose your new symbol and pick a point to insert.
C)You'll get a popup box to edit the field (just like fields used in title blocks). No exploding, no scripts.

Thanks to everybody for helping me work through that!
Dennis

aeromorrison

This sounds about right.

For me, I end up exporting a lot of drawings to DXF or DWG to work with customer and suppliers. In V10 and previous, your revision markers (if unexploded) will get placed on a layer that you cannot control and may not have the proper format (line color, etc.) once opened in ACAD or others. V11 has apparently addressed this in some fashion, but I haven't found time to test it yet. All of this requires a few more steps, making it cumbersome, not complicated.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
I did not know that I could not do this either.
How did I do this with Alibre?
Since CoCreate does have same or very similar function as Custom Symbol template, I used that to do the same with it.
But your method is what I should have done with Aliblre, and it is not that intuitive to find the method to create it.
Thank you for your posting.

Attachments

• 2008-08-31_160812.png
    2008-08-31_160812.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 75