What's new

Drawing Revisions

base729

Drawing Revisions

I just noticed that the reason my repository is so large is that I have several drawings that are 3 to 4 meg each... but each have 12 to 14 revisions, so the drawings sizes are 42 meg, etc.

While loading a drawing, does only the most recent rev load, or am I loading all 14 revisions? It seems like I'm loading all the revisions based on the time it takes to load the file. i.e. a 3 meg file vs. a 3 meg rev in a 42 meg file load completely different.

Is there a way to delete individual revisions out of a drawing?

schenman

It loads only the latest revision. You can purge out the older revisions by clicking on the Repository icon on you Alibre startup window and click on the file at issue and go to Tools and then click on Purge. It will delete all but the latest revision. Keeping older versions might save the day for you one day though.
You can click on "Show Selected Item's Version History" to see all the revisions.
Hope this helps.

Schenman

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Purging helps, especially when trying to copy something over to a server repository (for those that have Alibre repository space over the internet). This makes a huge difference.

Some workgroups establish administrative guidelines on how many versions to keep of a particular design (for example n=3 versions). This keeps things to a more manageable size, especially if you hit the save button as many times as I do.

I suppose if you wanted to go through a bunch of steps, there is a way to keep different revision levels prior to purging: Show Selected Items Version History check box (to see the versions), then select the file that you want to keep and open it as read only then save it under a new name (do this for each file you want to keep and then purge your latest file of all the old revs). Cumbersome process, and I know this is not what you were asking.

To do what you are asking for seems like it would be a good enhancement request. I would like to be able to keep the last 3 versions (for example) and purge all other versions. I don't like the fact that my choice is to purge all but the latest or not to purge at all (obviously I do not want to do my silly work-around either). I would like the purge window to give you a choice of how many of the latest versions to save, not just the last one.