What's new

Drawing sheets

dammerel

Hi all

I have a question about drawing sheets. Is there a way to copy a sheet with the title block filled out to a new sheet
thanks Andrew

Andrew,

I suspect that what is really getting your goat here is that the File Properties->General->Part Data selection set is inane!

Instead of being a hard coded and unchangeable (poorly thought out) list, it should be a linked list dataset that can be saved and reloaded at will! That way you could have versions for (say): (machined, formed/welded, cast, etc.) Parts, Sheetmetal Parts, and Assemblies that are sensible to the manner in which you work! The information that is transmitted to the drawing/title-block form becomes a component in the Part, Sheetmetal Part, or Assembly in a more useful and traceable manner!

Each such data entry becomes something that can be extracted and used in drawing formats, BOM's, and other project documentation (almost certainly through a WizoScript) operation!

dammerel

thanks guy, yes i made a special template for the project with the title block filled-in
i just need to change the sheet number and description

H-L-Smith

Did you get the answer you needed? Did you want to have title block entries that vary, sheet by sheet? Perhaps you already know how to do that? If not, I may have something that will help. It's on another computer, not the one I'm using at the moment or I'd just upload it now.

You have a couple of variables that you want to use in sheet number and drawing description. So, if you want those to vary sheet-by-sheet, and use them in the title block area, which is pretty standard the world over, you should use a template. On the other hand, you can use the title block out of any drawing as the basis for one in a new drawing you're creating (a little known Alibre/GMD fact) except it will be treated like a symbol and you can't vary the contents, even if you could do so in the original drawing.

If there was a reason time-wise why you didn't want to create a new template, and you had a drawing title block (without its associated template) that would do the job, you could maybe use the older title block and then try covering the fixed values with a note (drawing annotations) that you could vary sheet by sheet. This last item is speculative. I haven't actually tried doing it. A template is a better way to go, but sometimes the time required to make one doesn't fit the job at hand.

Cheers,