What's new

drilling radial holes through assemblies

steveastro

drilling radial holes through assemblies

When working with planar surfaces, its easy to "drill" holes between two components in an assembly, in a way that keeps the association between the two.

How can I drill RADIAL holes between two parts ? I thought I could pick up axes of the holes, but I can´t, and I can´t seem to get at the edges of the drilling hole either.

Steve

k5man

Has anyone found a good way to place radial holes thru a part??

I have a part that consists of one extrude boss with curved surfaces. Because it is curved, I can not use that surface as a starting point for a hole feature.

I thought about rotating the part such that center axis of the hole is perpendicular to a plane but I have been unable to rotate the feature. I tried to rotate the sketch, thereby rotating the extrusion, but the hole feature still does not work. The "OK" button stays greyed-out.

Anyone have any further thoughts on this issue??

Thanks in advance,
Karl

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Hi Karl,

You could insert a Plane by Angle and, if necessary, another one parallel to this and tangent to the curved surface.

k5man

Hi Miles,

I did think about that but I'm not quite sure how to accomplish that either. Although, I have not played with that yet.

However, when I rotated the extrusion until it was tangent to the proper plane, the hole feature still did not work.

Karl

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Re:

k5man said:
However, when I rotated the extrusion until it was tangent to the proper plane, the hole feature still did not work.
Karl

All the Hole feature cares about is having a Plane to work from...

It shouldn't be difficult to get a Plane in the right place.

I could have a look at it for you, if you want.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Re: drilling radial holes through assemblies

steveastro said:
When working with planar surfaces, its easy to "drill" holes between two components in an assembly, in a way that keeps the association between the two.
Steve

I might as well be an idiot if I am not aware of the degree of the easiness. ... How much easy to do what you mentioned ?
Any related subject discussed somewhere?
Please give me the clues. Thank you.

Toshi

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Hi Toshi,

You complete the hole in one Part and then Project it onto a Plane/surface on the next Part - check "Maintain association to source entity" in the Project to Sketch dialog.