What's new

Drive making bumping noise with Cura 3.6.0

oldfox

Alibre Super User
I just started using my printer and began with Cura 15.04.6 and everything was just hunky-dory.
Now I've started trying to learn all of the nuances of Cura 3.6.0. When the program is running I can hear a noise
from my hard drive that sounds like it is homing from a seek, I guess a "bumping" sound would best describe it.
It's cycle is about 5-6 seconds.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? I would really hate this to be the harbinger of impending doom
for my drive.

TIA

bigseb

Alibre Super User
...I can hear a noise
from my hard drive that sounds like it is homing from a seek, I guess a "bumping" sound would best describe it..
Hang on.. harddrive? Is this a PC issue or a printer issue? If a printer issue it could be extruder stepper skipping. Best is upload a video to Dropbox that shows the noise.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Hang on.. harddrive? Is this a PC issue or a printer issue?

Hi Seb, thanks for the reply.

Definitely NOT the printer. It's powered off, in the other room and essentially non-existent. My tower is in the desk right beside me. Cura 3.6.0
is the ONLY program that ever caused this noise. Other than that is the normal fan noise. I have 2 Enterprise drives, Seagate Constelation ES
with 1 TB each. I can eject the secondary drive and the noise is still there. It also happens when I plug in the SD card that came with the printer.
And that is the only time I ever hear this noise. So, bottom line... Printer is powered down, not even plugged in. Only program that causes this is
Cura 3.6.0. With Cura15.04.6, no noise. I'm by profession a hardware troubleshooter type. I do though, understand that software can cause the
drive to do funny things. Oh yeah, as soon as I "eject" the SD card, the noise stops. I gotta say it's the program. But I'm all ears.:( Heeeeeelllp!!

upload a video to Dropbox that shows the noise.
This is audible noise, not noise as in a noisy TV signal.

I don't have a mike that is known to be working. I'll scrounge and see if I can find something.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
I kept looking and found out that it is the Floppy drive seeking when an SD card is mounted. I guess I always had an SD in when I was using Cura 3.6.0 and I thought it was that. Bottom line... Cura is NOT the problem. The SD card reader is not the problem. I tried the Monoprice SD with
STL.s on it and also another from my camera, totally different structure, and that did the same thing. So it is a computer problem. And Seb,
I'm not going to be much help to myself on this one either. I did disable the floppy to get rid of the noise and wear and tear on the drive.
In this new millennium, I will probably never need it again anyway.:cool:
I still don't know what is causing the card to be trying to access the floppy. Any suggestions on that one?

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Nate, you nailed it. I'm going to try the last post in your last post to see if that cures it. Both of your Ultimaker topics are spot on with what's
happening here. Thanks a lot. Much appreciated:cool::D