What's new

Duplicate values ?

Alexander

Hello,

For some reason I have got duplicate instances of Material and Product values and I don't know what I'm doing wrong for this to happen.
For example I have a material value of Steel-cold drawn about 25 times within the Administrator Values list. This very frustrating when creating new parts in MFiles.
Can anyone explain how to stop this or what exactly am I doing wrong. :roll:

Many thanks

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm - I just looked and I have something similar.

I suspect the integration between GMD and M-Files is responsible - looks like a new value is being added rather than value picked from list. There are a few things that aren't done particularly well.

I've just deleted a load of duplicates - didn't get any warnings that values were used, so we'll see if there are any problems...

Alexander

Thanks David,
I tried the same thing but you end up with "value" (deleted), if a file had that deleted value. Hope that makes sense.
Frustrating

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I submitted this to support - I was told that this problems relates to an earlier version of Vault.

Personally I don't find that a wholly convincing explanation, but that's another story.

I guess only way to test is to clear some duplicates, then re-populate part properties and check the value list contents (perhaps after creating a few more parts).

Let's see...

Alexander

Ok, thanks.
One thing I have noticed is when you choose a material property with GM for a part, that material should automatically appear when saving to MFiles, for some reason for one of my materials (Steel-cold drawn) this does not happen, which makes me think I may of accidently deleted the original value in MFiles admin. Not sure but I would like to know how to re-link this material to MFiles, if possible.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have thought the code in GMD should select matching value in value-list when it exists, and either add it to the list (or at least offer to) if it is absent...

An explicit linkage from M-Files value list to GMD would show in the Sever Admin Tools (there isn't anything in my system), also the value list would contain all GMD materials (even if never used) - mine doesn't.

You can manually add a new item into the value list from Server Admin Tools - though I don't see why you should have to if the GMD integration is working properly.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I got another response - acknowledging the behaviour you reported; it just adds to list without checking (apparently we poor users are supposed to sort out the values at file save....!).

It is now logged as an improvement suggestion to get it to work properly...

Alexander

It's been bothering me for ages, lets hope the powers that be resolve it soon.
Many thanks David, I thought it was an operator error.... :roll: