What's new

dwg file not imported

jcdammeyer

I can import this file with Visual CAD/CAM but not with Alibre V24.

Attachments

• 203 Wheel Guard.dwg
    81.4 KB · Views: 9

jcdammeyer

Here it is as a STEP.
Thanks. It's not that I can't create it as a step. Since Alibre decided to make CAM a non-integrated feature I've had to purchase the VisualCAD/CAM software. I'm just shocked that VisualCAD/CAM is able to import it and Alibre (going steadily downhill????) can not.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Alibre has never offered 3D DWG import, only 2D.

Also it wasn't Alibre's decision to withdraw integrated CAM - it was MecSoft that withdrew AlibreCAM (it being their product)

Please try not to make statements that potentially mislead others.

jcdammeyer

Instead of chastising me about who failed in the AlibreCAM side of things please answer my question on how you created the STEP file. Who's software did you use? To attack because your competitor can import 3D DWG and you can't is unprofessional.

I read somewhere that Mecsoft was tired of dealing with AlibreCAD files crashing their CAM software and that it became a finger pointing issue so the separation was somewhat mutual.

Truthfully I don't care. I paid for Alibre over the last decade because it included a really good CAM system. Now it has nothing and can't even keep up with 3D cad files from other systems.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
John - Alibre Design has never imported 3D DWG. I provided the STEP translation to show that the DWG file contained 3D content (and hence would not be expected to import)..

If you'd like to share the VisualCAD STEP file, I can check whether it can be imported OK.

Max has previously dealt at length with comments here regarding withdrawal of AlibreCAM (which was never Alibre's product).

jcdammeyer

The generated VisualCAD step file created from the 3D DWG unfortunately does not import correctly into Alibre even with the healing option. Nor does that exported .step file import correctly back into VisualCAD or Fusion so their STEP file export is broken with that model.

As usual it will be easier to just replicate the parts from the supplied 2D drawings than muck with blobs that are created from step files.

Attachments

• 203_Wheel_Guard.step
    718.3 KB · Views: 4