What's new

DWG template, and export to same

IonSteve

Let me first say that I used to know how to do this. I mention this because I'm feeling a little dumb about it.

I have a local CNC router guy who knocks off a significant amount of dollars if I nest my 2D parts on the sheet for him. This is done via a .dwg template that he sends along for the purpose (attached). Fine so far--I know how to export to a 2D part in all of the 2D formats, no problem. But I can't figure out how to drop my 2D parts onto his template. I can open his template but GM won't let me open an .ad_drw or another .dwg to insert it (I get an error message).

Thoughts?

All the best to everyone--

Steve

Attachments

• Blank48x96English2004.dwg
    324.5 KB · Views: 11

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
I was able to open the template. and I then opened a AD_DRW file. I tried to select and copy (after activating Sketch in view) but I could not select drawing elements, presumably due to their associations with the solid model from which they were created. So I exported the AD_DRW to a dwg and opened that. I was able to select parts there and paste into the template drawing.
I have access to a number of other drafting programs that I would use for this ahead of G.M. ...it''s drawing environment is just too clunky. I suggest that you do the same. There are a lot of free or low cost programs that will combine these dwgs more efficiently than G.M. General purpose drawing functions like this are not really what it was designed for.
Particularly so since you have to export the AD_DRW to beable to use it anyway