What's new

DXF Files

I made an explicit reference that I needed to import and export DXF files. I cannot find anywhere in Alibre anything referencing anything DXF . I would like someone to explain where I need to go in order to utilize DXF files. I purchased Alibre Expert within the last two weeks.
Thanks in advance

Max

Administrator
Staff member
File > Open > DWG/DXF > opens the file in a 2D workspace

From a 2D workspace: Have a drawing open > File > Export > DWG/DXF

Killiwatt

Except when I open up "File" and by "File" I'll assume you mean the "A" gem in the upper left corner of the screen and select "Export", there is no option for DXF/DWG. In fact, of the options available, none of them are remotely useful for any program that I run in my shop.
Help?

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Are you exporting a part or a solid? You need to export from a drawing. And get this:

Capture.JPG

Killiwatt

I'm in trial here trying to decide if I want to switch from Vectorworks to be clear.
So if I understand you correctly, I need to design the part, then create a drawing from the part which will allow me to export to DXF so that I am able to import this DXF into Aspire and generate a toolpath from that.
Why not just be able to export the part as a DXF?

Killiwatt

So when I create a drawing from the part and do the export to DXF as you suggest, when I try to open it in Aspire it shows "no data". I then tried to open the file with Solidworks and get the same thing.
Thoughts?
Appreciate your input.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
You're new to AD?

Why not just be able to export the part as a DXF?
That's not how AD works.

So when I create a drawing from the part and do the export to DXF as you suggest, when I try to open it in Aspire it shows "no data". I then tried to open the file with Solidworks and get the same thing.
Thoughts?
Appreciate your input.

Could just be the version of dxf you select. See what Aspire can read.

Killiwatt

I tried both 2014 and 2018 both of which I can import from Solidworks no problem.
This is a deal breaker for me at this point. Disappointed as I really like the interface.

So if I understand you correctly, I need to design the part, then create a drawing from the part which will allow me to export to DXF so that I am able to import this DXF into Aspire and generate a toolpath from that.
DXF is typically a 2D Only format. A Drawing is a 2D Representaion whereas a Model is 3D. The "loss" in 3D transformations is that the sequence that created a 3D Part or Assembly is lost during the transformation. You can than Dassault and Autodesk for this...

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I tried both 2014 and 2018 both of which I can import from Solidworks no problem.
This is a deal breaker for me at this point. Disappointed as I really like the interface.
It might be worth while getting in touch with Alibre. They might be able to help you with this.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Quite lot of CNC software works with older DXF versions, not the newer ones. Perhaps try exporting in an older DXF format.

One check for 'silly' errors along the way - can you re-import the DXF back into Alibre, does it give what you expect? If it doesn't, then more investigation is needed.

KMoffett

I have exported DXF files from Alibre Design Expert 2018.2 and imported into Aspire 9.5. I don't recall what version DXF I selected in Alibre.
Ken

KMoffett

I exported an Alibre Design drawing in all the .dxf formats shown in bigseb's post #4. I was able to import all into Aspire, though the AutoCad 14 gave me an error:

"Cannot set CTABLESTYLE to that value.
Do you want to continue processing the file?
Yes...No"

Pressing Yes continues the import OK.

Ken