What's new

DXF with notes and annotations

IonSteve

Folks--

Very quick question: When I am sending a DXF file to a CNC laser cutter contractor, do I need to clear notes and annotations off the drawing so that he has a file he can work with directly, or does Alibre encode the notes and the part model separately? Hope the question makes sense.

All the best, and I hope everyone had a lovely holiday.

Steve.

scotte

Steve,
Usually the burn guys want a bare outline only, of the exact shape you want cut, remove any drill/tap holes.
I'm was just going to post a related question, you may want to follow that link also.
Scott E

keyepitts

Best to talk to whoever you're sending the file to. Many CAM and nesting softwares recognize layers (even from Alibre DXF's) and the dimension and note layers can be set to not cut. Whoever is doing the work may want to have the notes and dimensions so that they can check the part. Most DXF files you send will need some cleanup to remove tangent lines, reconnect discontinuities, and remove lines (such as small holes) from the burn print anyhow.

Steve,

The approach I use is to make the periphery DXF a separate document. I have my drawing with all the annotations and information needed for formal manufacture and inspection. It will reference something like: PERIPHERY OF -XXX IS CONTROLLED BY PCF-XXX123_REV_Q.DXF FOR EASE OF MANUFACTURE. INSPECTION DIMENSIONS ON DRAWING STILL APPLY. The DXF is then supplied to the manufacturer in the same manner that (say) my drill & tap specification for threaded holes is.

Does that help?