What's new

Dzus Fastener - 4th axis machining help needed

milesk

I am trying to model a Dzus fastener and am not able to figure out how to get the twisting cut in the end.
I've tried sweep cut along path with no luck. Image a cutter spinning and a cylinder (perpendicular to the cutter) pushed through the cutter.
While it is pushed through, it also rotates slowly to create the curved slot on the end.

FYI - A Dzus fastener is used to hold body panels on a race car. Here is a picture.
https://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/images/AJW4-50_1.JPG

Thanks

TJI

Hi milesk, here's my go at it. I'm sure this could be modeled much better. I just threw things here and there until it looked like a dzus fastener. These are also very popular on aircraft.

Attachments

• dzus.AD_PRT
    1.9 MB · Views: 145

milesk

Thanks for the replies everyone! I will be travelling to Malaysia (from usa) for a few weeks and hopefully will have time to try these during the trip.

Thanks
Miles

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
So now we have a Miles H and a Miles K on the forum. And my boss' name is Rich C and my supervisor's name is Rich S. My name's Mike Budzien, and I race with a couple guys named Mike Batson and Mike Brooks.

WTF?!? :lol:

A guy from the US is looking at Caterham parts, I wasn't aware those raced anywhere here in the States?