What's new

Edit part with assembly open

OrjanB

When working on a project with many parts in an assembly I constantly open and close parts.

There are 2 ways: Open here and open in separat window.

Seems that open here now is working good (I have V24), but that is certainly not the case with opening in separat window.
Mainly every time I edit in separat window error message occur telling conflicts with constraints were no conflicts should be present.

I would like to freely choose between the two methods depending of complexity of the project.

If I close the assy and then open the part for edit and then reopen assy Alibre works OK, but this is not good workflow.

I would also like to be able hit a button or keyboard when returning from “open here” to assembly.

Now I have to go top of explorer and right click. Or am I missing something?

Orjan

Last edited:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
It's because Alibre is updating the assembly every time something changes in a part including rolling back features when editing them. That causes faces to temporarily disappear and constraints to break. Disable "Auto Regeneration" in the assembly to prevent this. However when it is disabled you will have to manually regenerate your assembly.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Someone should edit that page. The instructions to hold Ctrl and press Alt only applies if you do not have the menu turned on. That should be clarified.

OrjanB

Nate:
I did not know that there is an "Auto Regeneration" in assembly. Where do I enable/disable?
The errormessage(s) occur when a part is opened and I try to edit, with the assy still open.
In the "edit here" mode there is no errormessage.
Should not your explanation influence both situations?

Is it so that with correct settings my wish of editing in separat window without problems is possible to fulfill?

For updating after editing a part I always hit F5 for regenerating that specific part before closing.
Personally I would prefer this to be default, but earlier discussions in the forum indicates other opinions concerning this.

Orjan

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You can choose to disable 'show popup on errors', in System Options -> General. That will reduce the amount of intrusive error messages - though be aware that though many errors are 'non-critical', sometimes it is good to be made aware of error conditions when they occur.

OrjanB

David:
We discussed this in another thread of mine were you correctly said that with unchecking errormessage the error may still be present. I did that for a while, but checked again because I like to be informed.
If Alibre reports error, but still behaves OK there must be something wrong in Alibre?

Orjan

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
In this context, as Nate pointed out, editing the part can cause 'temporary' errors (until part is generated to last feature) - being notified of these can be frustrating as they are (usually) not significant to the design. The software can't possibly know whether an error condition is significant or not - it doesn't know what you are going to do next.

OrjanB

Then my understanding goes like this:
As long as I feel confident that there is nothing wrong with the constraints I can ignore the errormessage and go on as if no message appeared.
I find this strange and in my opinion something Alibre should fix. For people new to Alibre very confusing.
Still I do not understand why editing part via "edit here" works fine, while edit in separat window generate a not needed errormessage.

Orjan