What's new

Edit Template

kdevoe

I needed to modify my drawing templates but have found that they will not open in V 2011. The template works when I am in the parts work space and want to do a 2d drawing of the part.

I have try everything that I can think of to open them but have failed.

Has anyone seen this and can tell me the secret to opening the template? Also what is the file extension for templates in AD?

Thanks,
Kevin

ASP

templates are normal 2d-drawings,
it should be possible to open them the normal way...
extension is .AD_DRW
can you upload it so we can have a look ?

kdevoe

Here's the file. Let me know if it opens OK for you. For some reason it is not just this one but also the B, C and D size drawing template.

Kevin

Attachments

• 1 BGI A SIZE.AD_DRW.AD_DRW
    260.5 KB · Views: 78

kdevoe

After uploading the file I notice that it has 2 file extensions (.AD_DRW) yet when I look at the file in my computer it only has 1???

Kevin

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Downloaded, saved, removed the extra extension - tried to open, error.

There was some problem with templates from earlier versions not behaving correctly in v2011 - can't recall the precise detail.

ASP

open the file -> AD crashes
make new DRW with this as template and tried to explode -> crash ...

I would send it to support, maybe they can repair it ...

if not you could make a new DRW from this template, export it as DWG, re-import and redo the text-fields

kdevoe

Thanks everyone, at least I know it's not just me.

I'll try exporting, re-import and add the text fields. If that doesn't work then I'll remake them.

They were originally done in ver. 6 or 7 so maybe it's time for new ones.

kevin

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Kevin,

There is only a small problem.
To open your 2D Drawing template without any problems, you MUST have a special font: English111 Vivace BT
(Presumably you had the template created on another computer with this font)

After downloading and installing this font, you can open your 2D Drawing template. :)

Attachments

• English111 Vivace BT-Font.jpg
    English111 Vivace BT-Font.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 115
  • English111 Vivace BT.jpg
    English111 Vivace BT.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 92

kdevoe

Thanks Ralph, I never would have guessed that one. I downloaded the font and installed it. I can now open and edit the template.

Thanks again,

Kevin

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
When can we get some intelligent error catching like that built in? It would be great if Alibre Design didn't just die on error, but instead told us what is wrong. It should not be much more than than something like this checking code here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/113989/test-if-a-font-is-installed

kdevoe said:
After uploading the file I notice that it has 2 file extensions (.AD_DRW) yet when I look at the file in my computer it only has 1???
This typically happens when extensions for know file types are hidden. The user is unaware that the extension is really there so they add it again themselves when saving. Make sure you have "Hide extensions for know file types" unchecked in your folder view options. Getting to the setting is a little different on different operating systems. If you can't find it let us know your OS and we will help.