What's new

Email message about legacy product?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JST

Alibre Super User
Rather than bother with trying to classify the program versions by "use type", I would just FORGET all that guff. it gets straight into the issues you all just raised, which are not relevant to Alibre LLC.

Instead, just offer a clean, straightforward series of products, as many as makes sense, that each have a different set of included features. Different ones may offer an increasing number of features, OR they might offer a different SELECTION of features.

I could see a sheet metal oriented version that has what is needed to do sheet metal, but is not outfitted with a "general" 3D modeling set of features, for instance. That is a product that is quite possibly marketable to companies in the sheet metal business. (It may not be worthwhile to do the programming changes if the market is not large anough, of course).

There are other potential special purpose versions that are "industry specific". The kitchen design business, for instance.... That version has to have the BIP file output and Keyshot for rendering a photorealistic kitchen picture (see attached)nook counter hi-res.jpg

So, what you are "calling" the hobby version might be just a somewhat stripped down version with a part quantity limit. Why does Alibre LLC CARE about what it is used for, or who uses it?

Right... they do not. If you go to the trouble of creating the version, then DO NOT LIMIT YOUR MARKET. Sell it to anyone who wants it, for any purpose.

If you want to, you can create a "special user class".... same program, but for a higher annual maintenance, you get the right to upgrade at a discount to the next version up. People just lap up those "privileged user" classes.

Bowber

Mmm, this has gone way beyond my thoughts.

The PE version had a limited import/export and some of the more advanced features were missing.
For instance, importing fusion 360 or some other full professional CAD models directly wouldn't be possible. So STL/STEP would cover most hobby use, I.E. the imported model is dumb, this worked fine for me to import bolts & bearing drawing etc from manufacturers websites & export to CAM.

Yes I did make items that were paid for a few times for friends, I didn't make a business from it though and I would expect to be able to do the same because in reality the total cost of my equipment and time isn't covered by this, not even close!
The ability to print and import/export 2D drawings is important.
In short, I find the old PE with additional filters a nice compromise.

Do NOT lock files, this blocks any upgrade option or the ability to send a troublesome file to another user for them to see why your having a problem.

Steve

mstevens

Similar to SolidWorks Standard, Professional and Premium?

Yes, the standard version of SW is a full blow package; it also carries a full blow price as well. But what I am hearing here in this forum is that hobbyists want a full blown package for a VERY LITTLE amount of money. If hobbyists don't want to pay, Freecad is available and really quite capable from what I can tell.

Last edited:

Jarek

For hobbyists, it seems interesting Onshape. The Freecad software in the latest version 17 beta would also be advisable for simple applications.

Besides, I talked to my local Alibre reseller, it does not exclude that after switching off the old license servers you will be able to register Alibre/Geomatic ofline by using Site Key Generator (AD 2011), the license will be sent by e-mail. It is possible that all this confusion is unnecessary.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Besides, I talked to my local Alibre reseller, it does not exclude that after switching off the old license servers you will be able to register Alibre/Geomatic ofline by using Site Key Generator (AD 2011), the license will be sent by e-mail. It is possible that all this confusion is unnecessary.

The licensing server is involved in the off-line route, so it won't work without a working licensing server.

Jarek

The licensing server is involved in the off-line route, so it won't work without a working licensing server.

Possible. However, I have this information from the local reseller. It seems, however, that technically should not be a problem, it is a matter of goodwill. Microsort has millions of users and there are no problems with activating Windows XP. I did not hear about problems with Siemens, DS, Autodesk, MSC, etc ... :)

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi Max an all,

What is the methodology for shade files that include its Design Explorer History that are able to open in AD old versions?
Thanks in advance,
GIOV

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Shade files?

BTW this thread is way off topic at this point. Going to lock. Giov, pls start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.