What's new

Embedded CAM or seperate CAM

cncor

I'm very interested in the Alibre Cam extension.
But normally I would prefer a seperate CAM package. So that I can use it with other CAD tools too.
But I understand that with the embedded version, the design changes will automatically generate new tool-paths without the need to do the changes in the CAM part too.
So now I do not know what to do. Buying Alibre Cam or VisualMill Cam?

Does the new plugin architecture of VisualMill CAM (version 6) change that? I mean is the next release of Alibre Cam (using VisualMill 6) a more seperate program?

Can I use Alibre with Cam just as a Cam program, and load projects created with other Cad software?

rcheliman

I tried using VM6 and Alibre with VM5 embedded. I felt it was easier to use it embedded than not. Alibre has not released V2 yet (VM6 embedded) so a read direct comparason on functionality can not be done yet. I think if I could do it all over again I would have used them seperately. I do not like the maintance aspect of Alibre. Do not get me wrong I am very happy with the product but paying for something that I do not have yet bugs me.
I would get trial versions of everything before spending any money. You will not be able to generate code but you can do just about anything else (that I remember) in both configurations. My understanding when they release V2 (VM6) nothing will change other then the addition of features and better functionality.
David

cncor

rcheliman said:
II think if I could do it all over again I would have used them seperately.

Why is that? Because of the maintance aspect? If so, can you explain why it is so bad?

rcheliman

It is not that it is bad but I do not like having to pay to "stay current or pay more later" I would rather them have followed MecSoft's thinking of you pay for a version and get the updates until the next release. Then if you wish to upgrade then you pay X. The theory goes if Alibre does not release V2 (VM6) for over a year then all those that have stayed current would have paid more then those that said no to the maintance then pay the small penalty but not the 2 year maintance price. I do not feel that you should have to pay for updates. It is just a way to get more $$ from us.
The other way to look at it is I would have VM6 not 5 for the past year. It kind of stinks to be a version behind. I do not see MecSoft providing updates for a piece of software that they have moved on from. I showed tech support an issue that has not been addressed yet. No updates, no nothing. I am just glad it minor in the grand scheme of things.

clexpert

I see that Radial Machining and Spiral Machining are supported in VisualMILL Standard. These two features are not in Alibre CAM Standard. For same $1K. Why?

rcheliman

My understanding is that MecSoft packaged the features differently in V5 to V6. Since AlibreCAM uses V5 for now, that is how the price per feature is laid out.

clexpert

So you think that these features will be active in AlibreCAM V6? And does know anybody when will be new version out?

rcheliman

I assume that they will be available for a price but I do not know at what price. I hope they release V6 soon but no one has given me a date.

phoglite

I just ranted about this in another post... I would recommend going with Visual Mill 6 separately. The Alibre CAM is V5 and missing some basic features that no standalone CAM package would leave out. Without CAM maintenance (separate from CAD maintenance), you don't get bug fixes and updates with Alibre... not that there have been many. I see V1.2 is out now and I'd have to buy maintenance to see if it would fix the frequent crashes I get. Every time it crashes, I get a little more pissed off. If I was paying maintenance for that privilege, I would be probably start to wish evil on them. I'm just say'n :evil:

indesign

Alibre Super User
I use a sepperate CAM package and do not have any trouble transfering files from Alibre. The loss comes in that if I wish to change the part then I must export then import then re-position then reselect geometry for operations.

There are quite some advantages to having an incorporated CAM but I too need features lacking in the CAM package. So I am on a sepperate package but only because I need more features (never had the crashing issue myself).