What's new

Engineering Plans

Hi All

I am a new user of Alibre Design Expert,

I was wondering where people get the plans for design of engines, traction engines etc.

Thanks

bigseb

Alibre Super User
For my own clients: designs are from scratch (I'm in injection moulding). Everything else I reverse-engineer. I can count on one hand the number of times I needed to download something.

sz0k30

Like Seb said, you either go from scratch or you might be lucky enough to find something close to start with on "Grabcad". Keep in mind that on Grabcad many of the files might be just dead solids. And as I found out recently, trying to use an imported dead solid to make anything usable is extremely difficult & frustrating.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of resources around the internet - are you looking for complete plans for scale models, or resources to develop your own 3D models from?

Original maker's drawings, photographs, other peoples' models might all provide inspiration. For some subjects there are dedicated web site / communities.

Probably easier to find information relating to a specific original, rather than asking generically.

Last edited:
Hi David,

Thank you for the information,

I am looking to make 3d Models of an engine (just trying to learn all aspects of the program for myself)

Thanks

Simon

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I was wondering where people get the plans for design of engines, traction engines etc.
If you type "Steam engine plans" into any browser search bar you will be amazed at the pages of web sites that have plans available. Some even offer them as free downloads. Switching the view to Images will give you a preview of what may be available.

You might also try an off-line resource at your local public library. See if they have any old engineering magazines that sometimes have plans included. You may need several months worth of magazines to get a complete set but along with the plans will be articles explaining the build process.

One thing to be aware of it that some steam engine plans do not include all parts. Fasteners and some tubing/pipes may not be included and are left up to the model engine builder to provide or make up on their own. As a CAD modeler, the fasteners can be found online from sites such as McMasterCarr or Traceparts or you can model them yourself if you are so inclined.

Last edited:

GIOV

Alibre Super User

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
This link is interesting for learn even tough is in SW but perfectly apply for ADE22:

Even though I haven't done this one, I have often used SolidWorks tutorials just to see if they can be done in AD. Most of the time I can complete them with slight modification to the process since AD does not have the same tool enhancements that SW has.

And have you looked at this link in the Tutorials section?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I am looking to make 3d Models of an engine (just trying to learn all aspects of the program for myself)
I would suggest not starting your first project on "a car engine" but rather something that teaches you the concepts you need without being too overly ambitious. OldFox is a user on here that has made a few engines - he may be willing to share his models with you for you to tinker with. You might consider sending him a message.