What's new

Equation editor question

srjacob

I am trying to scale a part, and am putting a scale faction in the equation editor (call it SF). I am setting SF to .5 (scaling by half).
The extrusion thickness of my model is (1/SF)*8
The scaling of my model is SF

The equation editor DOES NOT LIKE the (1/SF)*8

Why, and how can I do what I want to do?

Thanks,

Steve

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Try (1mm/SF)*8 giving 16mm as the result. Equation editor is very strict about dimensionality.

8mm/SF would give same result.

srjacob

That worked, but I still don't understand the issue. Here is another example shat should have worked, but didn't.

Steve

Equation Editor.jpg

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Dimensionality - both the equation and the value that you might try to apply the result to have to have the same dimensionality.

In Alibre the main thing you have to match is whether the equation represents LENGTH or is DIMENSIONLESS

Extrusion thickness must have dimensions of LENGTH, so the equation trying to set that must also do so. Adding the mm units (or could have used inches) forces the dimensionality to LENGTH.

Angles, scale and count variables are all DIMENSIONLESS.

See last part of this article https://help.alibre.com/articles/#!alibre-help-v26/equation-basics

srjacob

How do I change the type of parameter from scale to length? I am trying to use the equation SFINV in a hole size dimension, but Alibre doesn't like it.

Here is a screenshot of my equations.

Thanks for your help

Steve

Attachments

• Equation Editor.jpg
    Equation Editor.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 22

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
How Alibre does equations is a little confusing. But just know it is very strict. So that is a scale with no units. To give it units multiply it by 1mm.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
There must be something to tell the EE that you are working with length - so either use the SFINV with a parameter that is a length OR make sure to include a unit to force dimensions of Length as I did in post #3.

Possible example - NewLength = SFINV * 1mm

Last edited: