What's new

Equation editor to extrude exponential boss/cut

IMK

Hello,
So I am still using that old Alibre Xpress 11.2 once or twice a year for simple designs.
But now I need to make an Horn for a loudspeaker.
So I need to make and exponential boss then a slightly small exponential cut.
Is this possible in the equation editor please and how to go about it as have read the help guide and it makes little sense.
Lets face it, a few worked examples for armature users like myself would be a great help.
Many thanks in advance imk
Ok I know I need to upgrade to Geomagic/Cubify Design :-0

IMK

ajayre, many thanks for the reply.
I like you are not sure if scripting works in this version 11.2 of alibre, I can do simply equations.
D2=D1/2 A1=D2/10 etc but can't see any way to do anything more complex.
There is mention on the web of alibre and scripts so maybe it is something that came in in a later version.

IMK,

The Equation Editor has a moderately powerful set of functions (power, trig, log, etc.) available. What it does not have is any type of If/Then/Else type of decision control. The other thing you have to watch out for is its typing -- distance, angle, count, or scale are your choices. [Count is an integer and scale is a floating point value.]

Thus, if I wish to take the value of angle A2, perform a trig function on it, and turn that into a distance I will need to perform type conversions on it to get it to work. So, the first thing I will have to do is to "convert" my A2 angular value into a scale value (i.e. Scale_02 will be defined as being A2/1°. If the distance I wish to call is (say) D3, then I will have to "convert" it to a scale value (say Scale_03) as D3/(1 inch) (or whatever appropriate unit) such that I can create a scale value (say Scale_04) as being Scale_03*cos(Scale_02. I then "convert" Scale_04 to a distance (say Hyp_99) as 1 inch (or whatever unit) * Scale_04.

This does take some time to understand as the Equation Editor is very strongly typed. This does take some "getting used to."