What's new

Error in STL creation after Windows Update on 15 Jun 2017

cybertrot

Hi everyone, I realised that after today's lengthy Windows update I have a problem when exporting into STLs for 3D printing.

I've attached the STL file exported from (or created by) Geomagic of what should be a half-cube with a through-hole. The original file is also attached, as well as a png file which shows what happens in the slicer preview.

The artefact where the threaded hole becomes mostly sealed off occurs when I load the converted STL file into the slicer programs. I tried this on both Repetier-Host and Simplify 3D.

Anyone face this problem as I do and perhaps found a fix or a way around it?

Best,
Seb

Attachments

• 3D Printer-Cal Half Cube-Screwthread.stl
    97.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 3D Printer-Cal Half Cube-Screwthread.AD_PRT
    515 KB · Views: 4
  • Artefact 170601-Cal Half Cube-Screwthr- filled hole.png
    Artefact 170601-Cal Half Cube-Screwthr- filled hole.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 253

bigseb

Alibre Super User
And now it works. :D

Best,
The other Seb

Attachments

• 3D Printer-Cal Half Cube-Screwthread.AD_PRT
    529 KB · Views: 3
  • 3D Printer-Cal Half Cube-Screwthread.stl
    1 MB · Views: 1

cybertrot

Thanks bigseb! I'm not sure exactly what you did but that worked for me too.

Earlier this morning I found another way which was to reduce the length of the sketch profile parallel to the axis of the helix so that it is just a little shorter than the pitch. I made it with 0.1mm shorter so it was negligible. Exported it to STL as usual and it looked fine after slicing.

Appreciate any further explanations, but perfectly happy now that there is a solution and a work around.

Cheers,

Seb

bigseb

Alibre Super User
cybertrot said:
Thanks bigseb! I'm not sure exactly what you did but that worked for me too.

Earlier this morning I found another way which was to reduce the length of the sketch profile parallel to the axis of the helix so that it is just a little shorter than the pitch. I made it with 0.1mm shorter so it was negligible. Exported it to STL as usual and it looked fine after slicing.

Appreciate any further explanations, but perfectly happy now that there is a solution and a work around.

Cheers,

Seb
That's exactly what I did. Alibre tends to misbehave if the profile height equals the pitch.

cybertrot

It must have been ever so slight as I didn't realise it going through the file. Thanks for that. I'll remember that the next time.

Cheers,
Seb