What's new

Error when starting Alibre Design

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
A user reported that though Alibre installs OK and will run if triggered from the installer - any subsequent attempt to run it results in the attached error message.
untitled.png
Has anyone else come across this, and more importantly has anyone manage to fix this?

Win7 Pro
Avast anti virus (has tried with that disabled).

Any suggestions welcome !!

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Was the install done using "Run As Administrator" ?
Are there some files not installed due to this or has Avast blocked one of the dll's during the inital install attempts (i.e. before it was disabled?) Has Avast 'sent' a file to the mother ship to be analysed? That can take a day or two and leave the install incomplete!
Any windows updated prior to the the install?
Anything in the Windows Logs aound the time of install or attempting to run Alibre ...
upload_2017-11-30_10-21-59.png

mskidmore

A user reported that though Alibre installs OK and will run if triggered from the installer - any subsequent attempt to run it results in the attached error message.
View attachment 24978
Has anyone else come across this, and more importantly has anyone manage to fix this?

Win7 Pro
Avast anti virus (has tried with that disabled).

Any suggestions welcome !!

I started getting the same thing a few weeks ago. Uninstalled with various deep clean programs (IObit, REVO uninstaller). Reinstalled as administrator (with and without AVG running). After reinstall, it works until a reboot. After that, same error message.

I have found a workaround but it is a pain to do every time I want to run Alibre.

Start "Task Manager" (ctl-alt-del Task Manager)
Select "Processes" tab
Find select "explorer.exe"
Hit "end Task" button (All desktop icons and task bar will disappear. Don't be alarmed just yet.)
From the menu bar at the top of Task Manager select "File" and then "New Task (Run...)
Type "Explorer" (Desktop icons and task bar will reappear)
Alibre will then run (sometimes once, sometimes until the next reboot.)
You might have to re-enter your 16 digit license key

I have Windows 7 64 bit
Alibre Design Version: 2017.1.1 64-bit [Build 18603]

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting contributions, thanks for those. The user still has the issue. So far this seems confined to Win7.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
I have Windows 7 64 bit
Alibre Design Version: 2017.1.1 64-bit [Build 18603]

Same setup. W7"PRO".

I upgraded from Alibre 2012 V14 to 2017. All updates till now. 2017.1.2

NO problems. Is the user installing to all of the defaults? Or assigning an install dirctory?

David, have you heard of this on other Win7 systems?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I'm aware of 2 cases which are very similar, though not necessarily identical. Lots of options have been tried to resolve, short of re-installing Windows. My best guess is that something has gone wrong in Windows, but it's obscure enough to be really tricky to find.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
With only 2 *known* cases, it sounds like something other than Win7. Nor AD either.

The only thing I have experienced (running Win-7 Ultimate) is that not allowing a "Start Menu" identity has caused "cab't be started" failures. ???

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
It could be settings for automatic/user/running/disabled windows services.
It could be the installed windows updates.
It could be botched windows updates.
It could be hardware issues.
It could be...

mskidmore

I got Alibre running again!
I deleted the dotNET profile at C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Alibre Design\username\User.NET.profile per DavidJ's suggestion for a different problem. That fixed my starting problem.