What's new

Everyone happy with the new version so far?

JST

Alibre Super User
I have a slack time now that I could update in, and I have "paid for the new version". But I am pretty shy of Alibre updates, as some have had issues and a flurry of quick fixes.

It seems that most things should have settled out now, and I have not seen any quick fix releases.

What version of Keyshot is in it? I'm still using 8. I did not see the version mentioned on the Alibre website.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
What version of Keyshot is in it? I'm still using 8. I did not see the version mentioned on the Alibre website.
Keyshot isn't in the Alibre installer. Your better downloading the latest 'Keyshot' from Luxion's download page ...

https://www.keyshot.com/resources/downloads/

The Alibre install automatically enables Keyshot for CAD functionality. Not sure why Alibre has a download for it rather than pointing the user towards the Keyshot downloads page! It's just more things to manage for the Alibre team ... and it's always out of date as Keyshot gets updated every month or 2. Latest Keyshot is v10.2.104.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The Keyshot for Alibre installer should be used at least the FIRST time you install Keyshot - to make sure that Keyshot knows where to look for the licence. Run Keyshot installer AFTER activating Alibre Design Expert.

Once Keyshot for Alibre is working, you can use installers / updates from Keyshot web site.

If you don't use the Keyshot for Alibre installer, you have to fix the Keyshot activation/licence link to Alibre manually.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
The Keyshot for Alibre installer should be used at least the FIRST time you install Keyshot - to make sure that Keyshot knows where to look for the licence. Run Keyshot installer AFTER activating Alibre Design Expert.

Once Keyshot for Alibre is working, you can use installers / updates from Keyshot web site.

If you don't use the Keyshot for Alibre installer, you have to fix the Keyshot activation/licence link to Alibre manually.
Good point David. Yep, forgot about the initial activation ... it was over 7 years ago!

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Everyone happy with the new version so far?

I haven't posted much here lately. Mainly because not much has changed from my perspective. And that's my opinion of the latest Alibre. More of the same.

Not a massive criticism. AD is still great software and the Alibre team are top chaps (and chapettes?). Beyond not getting the features/enhancements/fixes I want all is well.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
To some extent you are right but there are features that have been waiting for more than 10 years... A little pressure is not bad...

IMAhobbyist

As a Hobbyist utilizing Atom I'm many pay grades below the majority here, that said if the old smaller cursor were offered as menu option and ability to cut predefined threads similar with feature to what Fusion360 offers, my life's quest would be fulfilled.

I am not happy with V23. I keep getting weird things like edges not not able to be selected for chamfering. I've been having various issues since I upgraded and assumed they were the usual bugs that would be fixed asap or were the result of modifying old models. Well that doesn't seem to be the case for either.

Radius, chamfers and simple things seem to have more issues than complex features.

Here's an example: What could be simpler? Put a square window in a plate or extrude from one sketch as below. Try to put a chamfer around
the window by selecting each line. You can't select the line to the left of the first line you select.

You can make a new chamfer and it will take, but you can't edit 'Edge Chamfer<2>' to add the last line shown below.

Super complicated gears and such seem to chamfer along with holes but a simple squared doesn't.

can't chamfer.png