What's new

Everyone happy with the new version so far?

David,
Thanks for the tip, that fixed the issue. I've been lax on keeping track of problems but I'll try to post more when I find them. Perhaps this will fix a lot of them.

Alibre Design™ Expert, Version: V23 64-bit [Build 23050]
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19041.0, Intel(R) 8 Core(TM) i7-9700F CPU @ 3.00GHz
Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0.30319.42000

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Everyone happy with the new version so far?
Yes, I am happy with V23. Very good performance. I am able to do more sophisticate projects in legacy mode. Waiting for more features.
upload_2021-6-22_21-19-58.png

jhiker

Alibre Super User
My splash screen is odd - shows 'Alibre Design 22' at the bottom left and 'version 23' at the top right. Any idea how to fix this?
Splash.png

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff,

That is also the v22 image - not the v23 one. I'd suggest an uninstall, re-boot and re-install from a fresh download of the installer.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
May be will be fixed in the new version. I like more in the right side the both Ribbon Display Options
upload_2021-6-23_13-40-39.png
upload_2021-6-23_13-41-51.png

Last edited:

simonb65

Alibre Super User
May be will be fixed in the new version. I like more in the right side the both Ribbon Display Options
index.php

index.php
The lack of expand button (where the collapse button is located) has already been queried with Alibre Dev and the reply was that you have the other button to show the collapsed ribbon! Can't find the discussion topic with Max at the moment, I think it was in the v23 Beta section which has now bee removed.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
The lack of expand button (where the collapse button is located) has already been queried with Alibre Dev and the reply was that you have the other button to show the collapsed ribbon! Can't find the discussion topic with Max at the moment, I think it was in the v23 Beta section which has now bee removed.
Thanks simonb65. I hope next release will be fixed.

sbeamers

Thanks for the fix to the chamfer problem David. I was having that same problem.

Nevertheless, v23 is great and I dig the preview feature. But I've been running into problems with the assembly constraints. As an assembly grows the constraints require hitting the confirmation check twice after selecting two mating features. Wonder if anyone else is having that issue too.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
There are many things in the new version I like and some I don't.
I like the 3D Preview but A) it slows things down when things are complicated and B) it gets in the way of selecting or unselecting things in some cases. I would prefer a 3D Preview option be added to system options for "Button On GUI but 3D Preview Defaults Off". Then I could toggle it On just when I want it.
I enjoy the new Windows Explorer file icons.
I like the online help and just hope it doesn't get neglected.
I like the placement triad upgrade. Maybe in the future it could get "snaps" to certain angles and distance increments?
The new physical properties is much easier to use.
A some of bugs I'd run into were fixed.

Drutort

So far so good, but I still have issues with GLP stuff not working well. By not working well I mean, when having parts and ASM driven by GLP that the parts have many values that scale, along with scale specific features in GLP, I get the glitch of parts and asm not regenerating the changes.

I normally found a work around that was used in v22, and is same in v23; that is I will close asm and part without saving and go and open individual part.

Unfortunately its not always repeatable, nothing that I can say HA this is how it happens all the time.

It also has a lot to do with how the part is being edited, if I close those asm parts that where open for edit and refresh the GLP and main asm, then all regen just fine, but if I have the part in new window edit, it will sometimes not take the changes, and requires full regen etc...

Otherwise I am happy that its working, I will still get few crashes of AD, and I still wish to have more performance in heavy sketches, because I can feel when the software starts to slow down and is about to crash, and edits or movements become slower and slower, thats when I exit edit save, close AD and reopen and go back and work again. Annoying but its a solution.

(tip you can see AD eat up RAM, for single parts as you edit, and that usually sign that it could crash, when you normally open if its a fraction of the size but if it starts to grow 3-5x the size)

kw856

So far so good, but I still have issues with GLP stuff not working well. By not working well I mean, when having parts and ASM driven by GLP that the parts have many values that scale, along with scale specific features in GLP, I get the glitch of parts and asm not regenerating the changes.

Same happens to me. When working on ASM, mostly problems with subassemblies. Even with those problems i m still happy with GLP

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Just a comment on GLP updating - if you have 'edit in separate window' open, the changes from that are not fully committed until you have closed the window AND saved the parent assembly.

If you are trying to update from GLPs and edit the design manually at the same time, it is the last change that is saved that will prevail.

You wouldn't have 2 editing sessions open on the same part at the same time and expect changes from both to survive - the last one to be saved would 'win'. There is the same basic issue if you are manually editing and updating from GLPs (or spreadsheet) at the same time.

Craig

I’m a hobbyist, but I use Alibre Professional. Can’t cost justify the expert version upgrade. I’ll probably keep my maintenance current. I upgraded to V23 about the time I got a Dell G3 15 with an Nvidia gaming video card. This machine runs V23 well. I have found v23 to be a fairly stable release. It occasionally crashes for no apparent reason, but previous releases did also; I just save my work a lot to get around it. All in all, I love this product. I’m currently working on a rotary engine project and assembling the parts and rotating the cylinders and watching all the various parts interact is a design aid that I find indispensable.

JST

Alibre Super User
.............I upgraded to V23 about the time I got a Dell G3 15 with an Nvidia gaming video card. This machine runs V23 well. ..............

I have the same machine, and I have had no issues with the hardware. No clue if it is Win 11 compatible, though..... Bless M$ with a brick!

KeithH

I have the same machine, and I have had no issues with the hardware. No clue if it is Win 11 compatible, though..... Bless M$ with a brick!
just go to this Microsoft site and follow the instructions. Download the program to check if your computer will work with Windows 11

How to Check if your Computer or Device is Windows 11 Compatible - Microsoft Community

Craig's laptop most likely is compatible, especially if he bought it around the time version 23 came out. My desktop i know is not because when i go to system information, i don't have a tpm thing on it, so I'll have to buy a new motherboard and processor in 5 years when Microsoft ends Windows 10 support, but by that time I'm sure ill be fine to upgrade more than that. My new laptop is all good though

@Craig you might want to contact Dell. Cause my new laptop comes with a free upgrade to windows 11 whenever i choose. Your computer is pretty new so your laptop probably does also (again you have until 4 or five years to make the choice, but its nice to know

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If you are running a reasonably modern AMD processor, they include firmware based TPM. There's information on line about enabling this through BIOS. I was able to do this for my main PC which showed as no TPM, it now shows as Win11 compliant.

BTW - for my particular Mobo I did have to re-boot several times before all the settings took effect - for while I wondered if the computer was scrap.

JST

Alibre Super User
That check program seems to come from "github", which is on my list of "avoid" sources. Too much garbage and malware sneaking in there.

KeithH

That check program seems to come from "github", which is on my list of "avoid" sources. Too much garbage and malware sneaking in there.
I was trying to help. As far as I know that is Microsoft’s program to check if your computer can run windows 11.

JST

Alibre Super User
No issue, just am a bit particular about the place stuff I load on the computer comes from. No reflection on you. Comes from previous experience.

The link you provided is fine. The link from that to the app program is where the issue comes in. It did not look like an actual M$ program...... not sure what to think about that.

The app is NOT available from MS.... it is shown as "coming soon" when accessed from the first link on the page. The link I mentioned as going to an odd place was also on the "how to" page, but further down. It appears to be bogus.

The linked page confirms the app is not yet available, but could just be out of date.

Last edited: