What's new

Everything you ever wanted to know about Sheet Metal (but were afraid to ask)

Ex Machina

Hello again everyone!

This is a very thorough, almost hour-long, video on the Sheet Metal tools in Alibre! I tried to get a couple of words in for everything. Over the coming weeks, along with other uploads, I will be cutting this video up to shorter ones. My goal is to have one per topic so people can watch only the part they want!!!

I also have another Sheet Metal video in the works with more advanced techniques on sheet metal!

So let me know if I missed anything, if you do something differently, or if you want me to mention something more in my next video.

P.S. I am also attaching the parts shown in this video so you can follow along if you want.

Attachments

• Countour Flange.AD_SMP
    639 KB · Views: 1
  • Hex Lofted Flange.AD_SMP
    967 KB · Views: 1
  • Sheet Metal Box.AD_SMP
    528.5 KB · Views: 3

Ex Machina

Here is another video on Sheet Metal! Here I model TooTallToby's sheet metal practice model 23-10-01-THRU BRACkET.

Some great tips for sheet metal and fo Alibre in General.

I will also attach the part to this post.

Let me know if you liked it or if you need any other video done on sheet metal.

Attachments

• 23-10-01-THRU BRACKET.AD_SMP
    667.5 KB · Views: 2

gwbruce

@Ex Machina Awesome video. Thanks. Really like the fact you used Too Tall Toby's model. Kind of shows how Alibre works in relation to other CAD system. Your sheet metal videos are teaching me a lot about how sheet metal works and boosting my confidence to use it.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
@Ex Machina I'm not sure if it was in your first sheet metal video, but in your second one you suggested searching the Equation Editor for the sheet metal thickness variable name. In many sheet metal dialogs you can also just click that refresh like icon next to the Equation Editor icon to replace value with AD_Thickness automatically. BTW I hate the icon for this.
1698201366297.png

Ex Machina

@Ex Machina Awesome video. Thanks. Really like the fact you used Too Tall Toby's model. Kind of shows how Alibre works in relation to other CAD system. Your sheet metal videos are teaching me a lot about how sheet metal works and boosting my confidence to use it.

That's awesome to hear Gary! That was the intended goal in the first place! I am glad I'm helping you with Sheet metal because, although it has its pitfalls, it's an amazing manufacturing technique.

@Ex Machina I'm not sure if it was in your first sheet metal video, but in your second one you suggested searching the Equation Editor for the sheet metal thickness variable name. In many sheet metal dialogs you can also just click that refresh like icon next to the Equation Editor icon to replace value with AD_Thickness automatically. BTW I hate the icon for this.
View attachment 39974
That is yet another cool tip!!! It was in the second video, that you're referring to, and Ty gave me another great tip which you can read in the comments. It's about Ctrl+Double-Click! This was a great video also because of the amount of helpful input from the community as well!

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Interesting take on the use of Alibre sheet metal. It reminds me of the work I did on new products and my old employer. Of course we used SolidWorks but we had the packaging cartons for each size enclosure created and configured in the final assembly model. Once the carton size was known its flat pattern was sent to the in-house carton cutter to cut out and slit the material for the cartons. It worked great for custom sized cartons and saved the min buy requirements from a supplier.

Ex Machina

Interesting take on the use of Alibre sheet metal. It reminds me of the work I did on new products and my old employer. Of course we used SolidWorks but we had the packaging cartons for each size enclosure created and configured in the final assembly model. Once the carton size was known its flat pattern was sent to the in-house carton cutter to cut out and slit the material for the cartons. It worked great for custom sized cartons and saved the min buy requirements from a supplier.
Now that's cool! And that's how I want people to think of this video. If you can do the envelope, you can definitely do packaging for a product. Or a pop-up book for your daughter, as Joseph commented. lol...

Ex Machina

And the final nail in the coffin... Eh... I mean episode in this series. Really, I promise.

But this is a really cool way to drape a continuous texture over the surfaces of a part. It might not work in every possible situation but where you can apply it, it helps you make amazing stuff.

Last edited: