What's new

Excel add-in

Markaj

I've been trying (& failing) to get the Excel add in for Alibre to work.
I have Alibre Design Expert 2018 64bit residing on an SSD partition 'F' drive, & Excel 2002 32bit on the regular 'C' drive.
Windows 7 throughout.
Am I on a non starter here - or is there a way to make it work?? or an alternative option?
tia Mark

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
What exactly is the failure? There are issues with some other Excel add-ins which conflict with the AD Add-in.

Markaj

Well there are a variety of error messages, I can get the add in to appear in the dropdown 'Tools' menu in Excel - but no further!
upload_2019-4-2_15-43-22.png

upload_2019-4-2_15-46-34.png

upload_2019-4-2_15-44-59.png

upload_2019-4-2_15-47-24.png

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Ah - OK, I didn't take in that you have such an old version of Excel. The .xla version of the add-in hasn't worked correctly for some time (it only worked with 32bit Alibre which isn't available so I don't know why the .xla version still ships). You are wasting your time with that combination.

Markaj

Cheers for that - I guess its time to update Office then!
Mind you the Libre plug in looks interesting. I could have done with that at my last job which used Inventor, and had Libre Office but not Excel - so couldn't use either!
But how hard would it be to package a simple spreadsheet calculator with Alibre?? I have one in Vectorworks!

Markaj,
One solution to your problem would be to use libre office (www.libre office.org, libre office is an open source alternative that reads and write ms office files)
Libre link (Similar to excel plugin but for libre office)
https://www.alibre.ch/Produkte/alibre-design-toolbox.php
As a dedicated and long-time user of the software that derives from MIT's Project GNU effort you need to remember that Libre Office Calc does not run the same "code sets" as the (pirated from MIT) Excel code does.