What's new

exploded views

Jasper

Is there a way to exclude some parts of an assembly from an exploded view? I want an exploded view of an assembly, except there are two parts that I don't want exploded from each other but do want exploded from the rest (i.e., those two should stay mated together). Should I make a subassembly of those two parts, or is there a way to have parts not explode from each other?

Thanks,
PJ

PJ -- If you start an Exploded View and then Right Mouse Button "click" on the view, one of your options is to use Manual Explode Mode where you can select a Part and move it "manually." Personally, I find this the best method to create a good Exploded View.

Jasper

Right, but I want to move two of the parts (which are mated together in the assembly) simultaneously, with only one part leader line. I don't know how to do that.

The situation is that I had a bracket in an assembly. I later realized the bracket needed an integral boss. Instead of changing the bracket, I just added the boss as a part in the assembly, mated to the bracket. Now I want to create an exploded view of the assembly, but I want the bracket and boss to behave as one part in the explosion. When I try manual explode, it appears I have to move both the boss and the bracket individually.

thanks,
PJ

JST

Alibre Super User
Agree with manual explode, in general.

When doing a manual explode, BE SURE to use the "Triad" tool, which allows you to move a part ONLY along one selected axis that you can choose.

If you do not do that, you may find that what looks like a simple move of left or right has also moved your part away from you by some unknown distance. That is not such a big problem if you are already in the view orientation you will want, but if you have that happen and try to change viewing angle, the exploded view may become very messed up.

The issue of the boss and bracket is essentially an illustration of the drawbacks of "quick and dirty solutions". You are best off to change the part to reflect the real configuration, or these things come up. GMD makes it so easy to change , that I do not see why you cannot just make the change in the part.

Jasper

you're right of course but this was a low-importance, illustration-only type of situation. In any event, I found that if I shift-click on additional parts in manual explode mode, those selected parts all move as one. Part lines still show for each but not a big deal in my case.

Thanks,
PJ