What's new

Export large assemblies to Keyshot or SimLab (?)

Hilarinho

Hi guys

I´m trying to export a large assembly to render at Keyshot (v1.9 bundled with Alibre D. Prof.) or SimLab Composer 2.0 (demo version) and no success yet.

The better way was export in STL, and import that in SimLab, but the whole assembly is recognized as one single component (the Simlab tree shows only "ascii - 3DGeom~1")

(No success with STP and Solidworks formats - the application crashes during Export operation - due to the +300 components, I think)

Anyone has success with another "Exporter"? I think we have a chance if get the STL from Alibre, and import and re-export at another software and import again in Keyshot / Simlab... but wich one to re-export that?? (Freeware or cheap , off course).

(If we could "disjoint" the STL block at Simlab, and getting the isolated components for render them, would be great... :( )

Well... I´m still trying here... Thanks for any advice and help.

Regards

Giecon.nl

Have you tried 3dPdf? Simlab can import that fine. Also .stl creates a very big file and you lose al lot of detail, circular featured get faceted..

Hilarinho

Hi friends

STL here is fine... little faceted, but at a camera distance it is OK. But I cant apply materiais individually.

The STEP format (stp) cause crash in Keyshot and Simlab import operations. Any of the three STEP formats, unfortunately.

The 3D PDF looks great at SimLab... I was testing the 3D PDF one hour ago, after read some old topics... thanks for remember. :)

But... I´m worry about the small size of 3D PDF file... It maintains the parts as solids, or only shells? Transparent Materiais will looks nice at 3D PDF imported parts? I´m using the Demo version, and can´t render to check...

Last question: Only Solidworks Format can maintain the assembly tree constraints inside Simlab? I tried to Export as Solidworks Assy at Alibre and Translate crashes every time. (About this question I just send an e-mail to support)

Thanks a lot for help!
Regards

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Hilarinho,

I can not recommend STL, for rendering purposes.

If possible, you can export your assembly in Alibre *. stp.
Now you can *.zip your file and send this file via e-mail.
If you want you can send this file to me.
My e-mail you can find in your PM.

Giecon.nl

The rendering result is the same no matter what format you use for import. The 3dPdf also includes the assembly tree but you can not apply colors/textures to faces only parts. Step import loses the assembly tree but they are working on that issue.....

DBC

Giecon.nl said:
The rendering result is the same no matter what format you use for import. The 3dPdf also includes the assembly tree but you can not apply colors/textures to faces only parts. Step import loses the assembly tree but they are working on that issue.....

You have a lot of great machine renders on your website. I enjoyed looking at them. Nice job all around!

Fx.CAD

@ Hilarinho: I experienced sometimes that SimLab needs time (but less than one minute) to import some assemblies. I never experienced a crash with SimLab, this app seems to be stable (If I compare with other rendering apps I tested).

Giecon.nl

@ Don: you generated al lot of traffic on my site :) thanks for the nice comments, really appreciated...

Simlab makes it so easy. I remember struggling in Mechanical Desktop to get some useful images to use in a manual, now we can produce images that look better than the product in the real world will ever look...

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User
Send your problematic AP214 STEP file to SIMLAB support so they can use it for testing their STEP importer.

I have not had any luck trying to import into Simlab, a SolidWorks model exported from Alibre. I try to use a AP214 STEP model whenever possible.

You will probably not have any better luck importing into Keyshot as they use the import modules from Simlab (look at the Keyshot ABOUT screen). You can recreate the assembly tree manually by holding down the ALT key and dragging parts to new locations. Simlab does hope to support face texturing where faces do not exist in the import (as with 3D PDF) in a future release.

Have you gotten your "trial" code, which allows a limited number of renders?

simlab

Hello,

Here is few notes about importing Alibre models in SimLab Composer, I hope they are useful.

Alibre users have different options to get their models to SimLab Composer, including:

3D PDF

The user can save the Alibre model as a 3D PDF file, and import it in SimLab Composer, which should be able to recognize the geometry and build the tree of the imported model.

The advantage of this approach is that it allows Alibre to do the tessellation, and as Alibre is the application used in creating the geometry it achieves a great success rate.

STEP

By default Alibre use Alibre schema inside exported STEP files, SimLab Composer supports STP214 and STEP203, so to use STEP files in SimLab Composer, make sure to export them as STP214, this option is available as one of the file format options in the export file dialog in Alibre

Note: you will not be able to import Solidworks files generated from Alibre in SimLab Composer, Composer extracts tessellated data inside the Solidworks files, tessellated data is usually injected only by SolidWorks.

We are working on adding more options to support importing Alibre models into SimLab Composer, as we understand that smooth geometry transition to SimLab Composer makes all the difference in the user experience.

denisgb2

You might try exporting the assembly as an Alibre .stp, that would be the native format for Alibre. Then rename the extension to .step and try to use that file in KeyShot. It has worked for me in HyperShot, and in KeyShot, but my assemblies have not been very large.

I have also used this method to open Alibre native files in PartMaker CAM software, without needing to translate them to stp 203 or 214

I do not have any experience with SimLab so I cannot guess if this method will work.

Good Luck.

Regards,

Denis

Hilarinho

Hi guys

Some news: I installed the Google Sketchup Publisher for Alibre, and have success at Keyshot (It takes some minutes to export/import, and gave a considerable file size, but it´s fine.). Unfortunately, I think this publisher is not an official Alibre translator, and has no support for it. But I choose to try. And it worked fine for Keyshot. Inside SimLabs, it works fine too. The only "problem", is that the subassemblies are flatted in the Object Tree. And lost part names (became "Part~1" to "Part~405"). But, in general, I´m happier now.

My assembly Physical Properties:

Design summary
Parts : 404
Faces : 4620
Edges : 8453
Vertices : 6438
Unique parts : 51

I´m thinking on get the 30 days full rendering license for Simlabs... Then next week I´ll do more tests with more options.

About the Alibre x Translate x Solidworks problem (occured with the same assembly): I contact the Support and I´m waiting for their considerations.

Regards