What's new

Export separate faces?

neilr

I ended up exporting to simlab as step files then sending them into keyshot so I could texture each face ...

nvanlaar

So what's with the Alibre "tech tip?" Does the full Alibre Keyshot allow other imports besides *.bip? Was there a lack of foresight in the article? I find it a little funny the tip is not technically correct or assumes something it oughtn't. I don't mind if Alibre doesn't do that (although I wish it did), but don't send me a "tip" that says it does. Alibre.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
What the hell are you talking about? The tutorial says about splitting the design in MoI into an assembly of separate parts and importing that into Alibre as an assembly. Each part is given a different material then in KeyShot.

nvanlaar

Have you even used MoI? The Separate command breaks the object into surfaces, not parts. Second, after importing a separated MoI part into Alibre (without re-joining) how do you save it as an assembly? I can only save an imported object as a part file. Third, Alibre has no option to export to *.bip as individual surfaces.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
NateLiqGrav said:
What the hell are you talking about? The tutorial says about splitting the design in MoI into an assembly of separate parts and importing that into Alibre as an assembly. Each part is given a different material then in KeyShot.

I vaguely remember doing something like this. That twisty bottle of mine was a design nightmare and in order to create a solid that I could use for cavity splits I imported it into MoI, split it into surfaces, deleted the inner surfaces and exported the result. When I opened that in Keyshot I could assigned diiferent materials to each surface. Can't for the life of me remember what formats I used or exactly how I went about it... that was the last time I used MoI so I'm not very familiar with it. Wish I had the time to play around with it.

keyepitts

I just tried this by following the example in the Alibre tech-tip and it worked fine. After separating the part into surfaces in MOI, I exported in a step file, then imported it into Alibre, and it imported as an assembly, then I exported it to .bip, opened it in Keyshot, and was able to assign materials to individual faces. Took about a minute total.

nvanlaar

keyepitts said:
After separating the part into surfaces in MOI, I exported in a step file, then imported it into Alibre, and it imported as an assembly, then I exported it to .bip
That's where I went wrong. I imported the *.3dm file into Alibre directly. Good catch!