What's new

Export stl and STEP to LISA

LewisA

Is anyone using LISA with GeoMagic Design and exporting STEP or stl to LISA? I have a model created in Geo and have exported both STEP 203 and 214 plus stl files and then tried to import and automesh in LISA. The automesher in LISA bombs every time with the STEP file and some of the time with the stl files. Has anyone else seen this issue?

dwc

Alibre Super User
I can't really help you, but I have used GM step (both 203 and 214) and stl files successfully with Z88.
Actually I have never had a problem using them, so I doubt it is the GM output causing the problem.
Don

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I use LISA and I have seen this problem many times, especially when I started using the program. In every case it was matter of the model being to complex for meshing. Before exporting from Geomagic Design be sure to suppress fillets, chamfers and any detail irrelevant to the analysis. Either way this is not GD export problem.

Can you upload your (GD) model? Would help to play around with it...

LewisA

Yes I have heard that before, but isn't removing fillets and chamfers defeating the purpose?

I tried to upload, but the file is too large. Is there another ftp that will allow this? If not, I could share a DropBox folder with you.

This was created by importing a dwg of the shape and revolving it. I then cut holes and created surfaces. It will be a weldment, but I made it as a part so it could be analyzed. I successfully analyzed this with Z88 Aurora, or the program gave me a solution, which looks reasonable. I want another opinion, so I tried and tried and tried LISA.