What's new

export STL file, Dimension problems

pc-6

I created a part which I saved as a STL file, loaded into my slicer for 3D printer. After print I needed to adjust some parameters. I made the adjustments and resaved the STL file. When I reloaded it into the slicer program I got a message saying that the dimensions were to large and it would not show up in the slicing program display.
Slicer program is "Simplify 3D". The part is a fraction of the actual size the printer is capable of handling. Adjustments made on part were only a few thou of an inch.
Has anyone experienced similar problems and have a fix or a workaround?
Cheers,
Leif

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Can I clarify -

You exported STL file from Alibre, it printed correctly?
You edited the original Alibre file and re-exported - now it is too big?

You used same export settings on both occasions (particularly the Units setting) ?

Were there any changes to computer between the two exports - update of Alibre, Windows update, anything else.....?

dwc

Alibre Super User
Hi Leif,
I would tip that the units setting at the top of the STL export window was changed for some reason.
Set it back to what you need and you should be OK.
These days I am 3D printing new parts at a rate of several a day, the STL export is never a problem.
Don

pc-6

DavidJ, dwc
You are correct in your clarification, all settings remained the same. There were no updates of any kind on the computer.
I have checked the settings at the top of the STL export window and it is set correctly. I always export in millimeters as a standard practice. I tried changing this to all available options just for trouble shooting purposes with no luck in any dimension unit. I too often export many a day ( when I'm not fighting with Alibre over silly bugs all day) so am very familiar with the process and am 100% confident that the export settings are correct.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Have you re-started computer since the problem ? Sometimes if Alibre 'gets confused' only a system re-start will 'get its head straight'.

dwc

Alibre Super User
100% confident that the export settings are correct.
Are you then sure that the problem is with AD?
Is it maybe your slicer?
Does an old STL that sliced correctly a while ago slice correctly today?
Don

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Are you then sure that the problem is with AD?
Is it maybe your slicer?
Does an old STL that sliced correctly a while ago slice correctly today?
Don
I really doubt its the slicer. Simplify3D is not known to make that kind of error.

jaysinn

You could try looking at the STL file with Netfabb. Perhaps there was an unintended side effect of your editing and the STL file is now corrupted or has some "feature" that extends beyond the available space.
Also, I've used Slic3r a lot, and I am pretty sure it will slice an object larger than your printer's print volume, and show you a preview of what it will look like - so you can see where the object goes out of bounds (if it actually does).

dwc

Alibre Super User
I really doubt its the slicer. Simplify3D is not known to make that kind of error.
All the slicers I know allow part scaling, I don't know Simplify3D, but would be surprised if it is an exception.
Don

auburncad

I have been exporting to stl and 3D printing via Simplify 3D for a couple weeks now. It seems be working well for me. I only get that kind of message when I screw the units up.

The only problem I had with the stl export is when I broke it by putting a zero in the max allowed angle under the facet parameters. "DO NOT" do this as it will freeze the stl export and keep the angle at zero. I had to delete the user.NET profile to recover the stl export. Alibre is aware of the issue.