What's new

Export to DWG

RwSkinner

When I export an 2D drawing to a Autocad 2007 DWG all the text, labels, notes are much larger than they are in the original drawing. See the attached PDF of where the information in the revision table runs off the template "RWS" is even outside the borders.

Is there a way to avoid or correct this?

Richard

Attachments

• DL1000C-ASSY Model (1).pdf
    114.7 KB · Views: 28

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Print the drawing to PDF instead ? I guess it depends why you want it in DWG...

RW -- Remember that AutoCAD is a unit-less system. Certain versions do strange things to text and dimension placements. I have virtually no experience working with AutoCAD, but I know several programmers who manage such conversions for other CAD companies. They have a list of translation modifiers that make a heat transfer coefficient of transmission list look trivial. I keep suggesting that the guys in Richardson think about a strategic alliance with the General CADD people as they have solved most of these (and several other) problems.

JUKKIS

Yes ! General Cadd's 2D combined to Alibre's 3D would be near optimal.
There is, and there has never been faster 2D than General (Generic) CADD.

indesign

Alibre Super User
JUKKIS said:
Yes ! General Cadd's 2D combined to Alibre's 3D would be near optimal.
There is, and there has never been faster 2D than General (Generic) CADD.

I remember that program back in the DOS days. Didn't know it was still around.

JUKKIS

At the time when ACAD bought Generic it was not sold so officially anymore. Anyway I managed to buy a bunch of original GC licenses with good :) price for laser jobshop. And it was good for next 5 years.

RwSkinner

I can say the whole AutoCad DWG to Alibre or Alibre to DWG isn't real smooth.
I've imported DWG's that had the model and multiple sheets and it get's whacked up pretty bad coming into Alibre.
SysCode Import/Export utilities generally do very good the few times I used them.

Then going from Alibre Drawings to DWG there are many little issues like text and like not being able to export all the sheets of a drawing into DWG tabs/sheets.
I had to export each and everyone of them individually. It could be me lacking the know how tho.

And to answer the question about why to export to DWG? Many of the manufacturers request DWG files. I know my sheet metal shop uses the DWG's to import into their CAD program and I do the same.

Richard

Dave H

Aaaahhhhhhhh, Generic CADD. What a joy to use.............................until the 5000 pound Canary squashed them. :evil: