What's new

Export to DXF

kiwiavi

The info on the web for 3D Atom shows a DXF export routine.

DXF Export

I've installed V24 and it does not have this feature. Is this something new in V25 or am I doing it wrong ?

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Do a 1:1 scale drawing of the part on a blank sheet and then export to dxf. It only works with drawings presently.
There is a request in for a dxf export from a face of a model. Hopefully it may get implemented one day.

kiwiavi

Yes I was trying to export from a 3D part. I really want this option and just paid for an upgrade hoping to get this feature. The WEB suggests that saving to STL, STEP, SAT, DWG (2D), DXF (2D) is all done in the same breath. If I can't do it, I'll be grumpy !!!

If I want to do 2D stuff, I revert to Turbo CAD and have used that for 20+ years.

Ok how do I create a 1:1 drawing from a 3D part ?

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Yes I was trying to export from a 3D part. I really want this option and just paid for an upgrade hoping to get this feature. The WEB suggests that saving to STL, STEP, SAT, DWG (2D), DXF (2D) is all done in the same breath. If I can't do it, I'll be grumpy !!!

If I want to do 2D stuff, I revert to Turbo CAD and have used that for 20+ years.

Ok how do I create a 1:1 drawing from a 3D part ?

Just open a new drawing file while the 3d part model is still open and active.

If the model is not open, the prompt will allow you to select the part file and insert it into the drawing. The drawing workspace in Alibre is really good. I like it better than I did Inventors drawing workspace.

The drawing will prompt you for the view and scale (1:1) that you want.

Here is a video I made awhile back:

Last edited:

kiwiavi

Thanks, I made some progress. The part I have I removed from an assembly and is at a angle. (Sheet of timber at a 30 deg angle) When I create the 2D, it shows the part at the angle. How do I get it at 0 ot 90 deg ?

Attachments

• Board.jpg
    Board.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 6

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Try the "workspace orientation" button and see if one of those options in conjunction with the little orientation arrow buttons gets you closer to what you want.

Doubleclicking each view option in the "workspace orientation" window will generate a little preview in the "front view" image window. Then you can select the right view, top view, etc to associate with the orientation you pick for your front view.

Untitled.jpg

kiwiavi

Close but no cigar. It just shows the projection from X Y Z but none are perpindicular to the face I want.

I need to create a drawing from a sketch view and not the model.

Attachments

• Board_2.jpg
    Board_2.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 7

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I do similar all the time. Just create the sketch, the drag select the entire sketch. right click a sketch figure, copy with base point, the click a point on the sketch.

open a new drawing, and in the design explore right click the "new sheet" and select "activate on sheet".

Right click anywhere and use the paste stamper option to paste the sketch into the drawing.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Or do it as intended (at least in Pro or Expert - not available in Atom3D), create a new orientation in the 3D model that you can then base your 2D drawing on.

kiwiavi

Finally got the V24 upgrade to work. Found the orientation (was not in my older version) and created the new view. Successfully exported it to a DXF.
I tried to open botn the DXF and the DWG files in TurboCAD and both crashed. It is just a straight line drawing. Is there any way I can set the DXF to a particlar version of Autocad so I can see if I read the files?

I like Turbocad as, what is save, is compatible with my machines and laser and water jet cutters contractors I use. I can always specify a version that they can read.

Last edited:

Ralf

Alibre Super User
In your Alibre 2D Drawing -> File -> Export -> Choose DXF or DWG
Now a list will be displayed:

Export-DWG-DXF.jpg

Select in the list which DXF or DWG version is best to import with TC.
In most cases, V14 is quite sufficient.

Last edited:

kiwiavi

Thanks, I missed that option. I now have a feel for what to do and need to streamline the process. Two things are scale and units.
I want to start from the original STEP assembly I have and create the DXF pattern for routing. A friend did the assembly in Solidworks.

I'm not sure how I did it in the past but somehow I managed to open the assembly and save all the components to AD_PARTs in one go. That was ver19. I can't find similar in Ver24.

Attachments

• Exploded.jpg
    Exploded.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 10