What's new

Export to Solidworks using STEP214?

Toybuilder

I just exported my work to STEP 214 to be imported by a machine shop's Solidworks -- when he opened the files, the result looked like a "dog pile" of many parts clustered in the middle, with some of the other parts strewn about.

It looks (maybe) like all of the parts came in individually in the same orientation, with each part's origin placed in the same point, instead of honoring the placements in my model.

I then tried to export the design as a Solidworks Assembly (sldasm), but since I don't have Solidworks, I could only try opening the files in eDrawing -- but eDrawing complains that the parts do not contain valid parts data.

I also tried to export the design as a Parasolid assembly, but Alibre errored out writing the data.

Exporting to 3D pdf worked for discussion purposes, but he can't use that for his CAD work...

BTW, when I opened the STEP 214 model in TurboCAD Pro, it looks fine there - so I realize that part of the problem may be with Solidworks. But I had a similar "dog pile" happen with a different STEP 214 export being loaded into Altium Designer (an electronics design program), so I wonder if there may be some slight data format problem??

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I just tried that here, SW couldn't import the STEP214 file. However when I exported the assy as a SolidWorks assy then it worked just fine.

Send the shop the SW assy file and see how it opens. It can't be any worse than the step file.

H.

rgyuka

Toybuilder, my experience with two different companies using solidworks (we do not), that is 'before' Alibre translate became a mainstay for all...... was to export in 'alibre step format'. [version 11.2 pro]

Both companies (US & Canadian) were able to open the Alibre format with a 'proper visual' and 'workable' models, that they incorporated into their own layouts (no idea what it took though). Not sure which version of Solidworks they used, but both companies were on 'very expensive' maintenance, so I am assuming an up to date version.

Yet, the STEP 204 & 214 formats were a jumbled mess. :? I generally use Alibre for sheet metal booth designs & dust collectors (part/assemblies) related to powder coating systems.

I have not tried the new Alibre translate format, so no comment there.