What's new

External Thread Tool

chiefshoe

External Thread Tool (V11)

Unknown if this is a bug, a programming oversight or expected behavior. The “External Thread” tool will not function when applied to an external cylindrical surface with a boss extending from the ends. I was attempting to draw a plug incorporating a 3/4-16 x 11/16 threaded boss with a 1/8 x 5/8 dia. Boss (thread relief) on one end and a 1/4 x 5/8 dia. boss on the other. The 5/8 boss requires a 15/32 drilled hole 3/4 deep. I originally decided to draw a profile of the part and then use the revolve tool to create it. When I tried use the “Ext Thread” tool and apply the thread to the 3/4 boss, the tool was not able to identify the circle to apply the thread too. Upon playing around with the drawing, I discovered that so long as the threaded boss was located at the end of the part without any thing extending from it, the “Ext Thread” tool worked. Once the ext. thread tool was used and the thread created, the 5/8 x 1/8 dia. boss could be extruded from the threaded boss.

Question - Is this expected behavior? Or should we expect the Ext Thread Tool to work with any cylindrical surface located within a part?

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
I wouldn't consider it expected behavior, that's certainly something that should be possible.

The External Thread tool is new to v11, so it might have a couple kinks that need to be ironed out. To be honest I haven't even used it yet myself.