What's new

Extrude boss: how to extrude it at an angle other than 90 deg to face?

ReedMikel

Hi,
Brand new to Atom3D and trying to figure out how to extrude a simple boss, but at an angle other than 90 deg to face (aka "normal")? I do see on the Extrude Boss properties that I can uncheck "Along Normal" - but then I have to select a user-defined axis or plane or ? I tried creating a place that's at a -70 angle that I wanted, but I can't seem to select that plane on the Extrude Boss properties. I've attached a pic showing 3 bosses that are currently extruded along the "normal" (ie 90 deg to XY plane). So how do I edit these bosses and extrude them at the -70 angle? Very confused :)
-Mike

Attachments

• Extrude at angle other than normal.jpg
    Extrude at angle other than normal.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 5

ReedMikel

I'm thinking I really want to create an axis that is at 70 deg to XY plane - but how does one do that? When I right click in the workspace and choose Insert Axis, I don't see any buttons on the Insert Axis screen where I would just select a plane and an angle. I'm getting more confused - if that's possible ? :)

ReedMikel

Phew - I figured out one way, albeit clumsy I'm sure: first I created a plane (110 deg I think?, selecting face of rectangle and a point on that face). Then I created an axis along the normal to that new plane. Then edited ny extruded boss and unchecked "Along Normal" , then selected my new axis... There seems like there ought to be an easier way - but I trudged thru and got it done :)

Attachments

• Extrude at angle other than normal - SUCCESS.jpg
    Extrude at angle other than normal - SUCCESS.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 8

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Mike, glad to have you on board! Here's some tips.

BTW when I say "inferred linear edges" I mean "inferred axes"; my dog was helping me and distracted me.

ReedMikel

Thanks for the video tutorial Max!! I'm going to watch it several more times and play with a design in Atom3D to reinforce this info...