What's new

Extrude cut lid

I am trying to make a lid but alibre does not allow extrusions of pieces of sketches as far as I can tell and because of that I don't know how to accomplish what I want.

Right now this lid is 10mm thick.

1703531948718.png

I would like to cut the red part down so that the green thickness is 2mm. The wall inside should be smooth with no inner lip. Sort of like what the purple arrow is showing. The pink line is highlighting the edge of the lid which allows it to sit on the base of an enclosure without falling into that enclosure base.
1703532187443.png

I wanted to use extrude cut but that turns out to not be an option because I can't select the inner rectangle of sketch #2 shown in yellow here.
1703532354911.png

I then tried shell but I must not understand how shell works because it keeps leaving a lip on the inside.
1703532562244.png

What is the proper way to approach this problem?

Attachments

• Lid.AD_PRT
    292.5 KB · Views: 1

dwc

Alibre Super User
When you do an extrude or extrude cut AD uses the entire sketch. You can not select just a portion to be used.
The trick is to change all the lines you do not need for the particular operation to reference lines. Then they will be ignored for the operation.

I am using those lines to make the inner part of the lid though and for the outer lip. I can't make them reference lines because then that causes issues with the previous steps from what I understand.
1703533439610.png

Cator

HI,
I selected the face you marked in red and created a sketch from the face with Project to sketch. Finally I extruded it by 8 mm.
I hope I have helped you...
Regards,
Francesco