What's new

Fastening a rail

ClaudeG

Hi,
I am still new at Alibre. I am trying to attach s rail to an aluminium extrusion using a T-nut and a 5mm screw. In the attached example, did I use the easyest methot. I will take lot of time to place a fastener at every 2 holes.
I own Alibre Pro.

Attachments

• Test rail fastening.AD_PKG
    281.1 KB · Views: 7

GeorgD

Hi Claude,
I use the expert version. That's why I don't know if my path will work for you. I marked the screw and nut in a linear arrangement and then arranged them with the appropriate distance.

Georg

Attachments

• Test rail fastening V2.AD_PKG
    281.6 KB · Views: 1

JST

Alibre Super User
I do a lot of structural stuff, and this client wants bolt counts, because they put together "modification kits" for cell phone antennas. So I need a bolt of the right type in every hole for the BOM. It would be impossible to put bolts everywhere individually and not forget some

Yes, absolutely ALWAYS use subassemblies. The subassembly can start with one part, just the "rail". Then you put bolts in the holes of the subassembly, and then whenever you use that subassembly, it will have the bolts. Make the nut and bolt a subassembly if you want both.

If you do not need all the bolts, then just put an axis through the hole, and use the geometry (show part geometry) to locate the rail so that the hole is lined up with the slot. Or, you can make the hole surface tangent to the side of the slot.

Using the hole is considered bad form by some. But by using it, if the hole is moved (without being deleted, just changing dimensions) then it will still line up, and you will see if any other problems occur, more easily.

You could also use a constraint of the end of the rail to the side of the extrusion, dimensioned to make the hole line up. But then you have to check separately about the hole lining up with the slot of the extrusion.

ClaudeG

Hi GeorgD, hi JST,
I have used the way JST describes. I place the bolt on the t-nut, line them all with proper spacing, and place the one of the first of the line on the hole with the dimension from the end of the aluminium extrusion.
Thanks for the help.
I do not know if this is possible, but some body should look if a successive constraind could be possible for those cases.

ClaudeG

concept

I'm not positive about this but I believe if you download the extruded aluminum t-nut from McMaster-Carr, it is already an assembly.