What's new

Feature control frame on an imported part

hradford5

I have an imported step file that I've created a drawing of. This job came with some screenshots, of feature control frames, that I want to match.

I can create either of the 2 Max mat'l frames individually, but I can't figure out how to create them as one frame together.
Anyone familiar with this?

Zeke -- Currently there is no "easy way" to accomplish this. The first problem is that a Datum definition needs to be "tied" to a Feature (read Pasrt or Assembly geometry. Yje second problem is that a Feature Control Block needs to be "tied" to a Dimension. If you "relocate" one. the "other" must "follow." My suspicion is that, with respect to Datums, this will not be possible until a Datum Declaration becomes part of the Reference Geometry definition set. Similarly it is my guess that we need to be able to declare "Drafting Dimensions" (along with Tolerances and Allowances) within the Modeling operation set. You have no idea how long such a "goal" has been on ly "List of Good Things." -- Lew

hradford5

That was kind of what I figured. I was able to create the separate feature frames, positioned the top one with a leader and place the bottom one underneath, without a leader.
It's not optimal, but it'll work.
Thanks for responding Lew.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Zeke,
Looks like you just missed a couple of options in the FCF dialog.
You've likely got the first part (Pattern Locating) of the composite frame ok.
FCF Step 1.png

For the bottom frame select the second tab (Feature Relative) and check the Composite Tolerance option and enter the values.
FCF Step 2.png

If you need to edit them just select the correct tab in the dialog.

For these screen shots I just placed Datums A, B and C on an empty drawing so they would show up in the FCF dialog.