What's new

Feedback for 2012 - What do you love?

Rynodesign

Ok, so I've turned off the ribbon and that's a little better. Now, how do I get back to a standard windows toolbar (File, Edit, etc.) instead of this ridiculous MS office looking thing?

While I can find the icons where I did before, I can't find the menu related options. Where is the Dimension All command? How do I create a Reference Circle? These things seem to be gone.

I agree with tgarson. The new interface is not an improvement to those of us who have been using Alibre for several years. :x Sure, update the icons. I don't think they're any better than the old ones. Most of them seem smaller and harder to read even though I have a 22 inch monitor. Added features? I love those. But I shouldn't have to login to the forum and hunt around for a way to get the program back to a form in which I can use it the way I did before I upgraded. One of the biggest reasons we buy programs like Alibre is to save time over drafting by hand. When the program takes a detour, it's a waste of my time.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
System Options -> Display -> General uncheck 'hide menu' for a permanent menu bar.

To access menu bar temporarily, just press Alt.

jimbees said:
Just love being able to build cutouts in the ends of sheetmetal flanges when generating flanges instead of having to go back to edit the part afterwards. That was a real time soak. I found the new UI to be very quick to adapt to, like being able to shrink the ribbon when working on my laptop. The extended RMB commands are great, it takes about 10 less clicks to change the thickness parameter of sheetmetal parts.

Jim

Cutout flanges are great, extended flanges are badly programmed and unusable since the bend extends with the flange and makes for an editing nightmare.

Needs a little work here.

Attachments

• New Sheet Metal Part.jpg
    New Sheet Metal Part.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 26

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I like the ribbon. It has really improved the overall workflow and I can see it saving me a lot of time but there seems to be a lag of about 2 seconds or so between clicking a button or tab and the software actually responding. I don't like that. I hope Alibre get rid of that real soon.

kev h

seems to be a lag of about 2 seconds or so between clicking a button or tab and the software actually responding. I don't like that. I hope Alibre get rid of that real soon.

+1

Not so bad after 1st change on the tab.

Cheers Kev 8)

bigseb

Alibre Super User
kev h said:
seems to be a lag of about 2 seconds or so between clicking a button or tab and the software actually responding. I don't like that. I hope Alibre get rid of that real soon.

+1

Not so bad after 1st change on the tab.

Cheers Kev 8)

Now that we're on the topic, everything seems to take that little bit longer. The Home window takes that little bit longer to show up. Click on new part or new drawing it takes a little bit longer to show the new window. Click save and there's a lag before it saves, etc...

Its not my hardware either. I have a very good PC. Its so hot it makes fire envious... unfortunately its let down by the software. The lag isn't unbearable and the job still gets done but I miss that snappiness that V13 had... :|

Giecon.nl

Same experience over here noticeable lag overall. Until all new ribbon, in place editing menu etc is turned of, now the speed seems back to normal. Try it you'll be surprised about the speed difference.

dwc

Alibre Super User
I think a good part of the delays come from the ribbon.
I have now finally decided to turn it off forever and things seen to be (in most cases) faster.
Maybe my usage is unusual, but many of the tools I need often I can't find on the ribbon.
As I am vary often hitting ALT to get back the menues for the in the ribbon unsupported tools I decided to just save the screen space and go back to the menu completely.

Thank you AD for letting this be possible.

I am seriously considering checking out OpenOffice in the future after being subjected to the MS ribbon at work. Make the window narrow to the width of a portrait page and half the tools are gone and I can find no way of getting them back without making the window bigger. Sorry MS, at work I have no choice, but otherwise, no way.
Don

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Lately I have been posting a lot about problems I have with Alibre i.e. importing/exporting, display issues and lofting. There are other issues too, for example filleting and shelling which I have not yet properly addressed (my fault) but will as they come up. These are irritating bugs/shortcomings but nothing that I haven't been able to work around.

I had the (mis?)fortune of working on Solidworks for the past few days and just want to say that in my opinion the Alibre interface is head and shoulder above SW. It is far more intuitive and I found myself breezing through work. I complained earlier about the ribbon taking long to respond but its still quicker than SW. Sketching in 2D and then extruding, lofting, sweeping, whatever is just so much easier in Alibre than in SW. Quicker too. Alibre starts up quicker.

SW certainly has a more polished feel but that doesn't make up far its lack user-friendliness. Alibre ended up doing the same job with far less button clicks and that is a huge bonus.

All in all, I think Alibre is on the right path. If they sort out the little niggles I believe they can be class leaders. I certainly will NOT be trading Alibre for any other software.