What's new

FEM Designer 64 Bit

bobster

This might belong in Add-ons, but I think it's worth talking about to the general population.
I stayed with 32 bit GD in order to keep my FEM Designer FEA s/w running.
When GD defaulted to 64 bit with the last version upgrade I moved into the 64 bit world of GD.
I recently contacted FEM and was directed to their download page, downloaded and installed the latest version and the 64 bit installer.
I followed the directions which included creating a directory in GD addons for FEMDesigner.
To keep it short it's working, and working well. FEM appears in the addons pulldown, no need to use the alt key anymore!
the file and path needed:
c:|Program Files\3D Systems\Geomagic Design\Program\Addons\FEMforGD

FEM for GD basic is working so well I'm considering the upgrade to the full version.

Bobster,

Absolutely! And, for a lot less $$$ than the DST Simulate program, you get real, accurate, & verifiable results. Now, if we can just get 3DS to provide FEMdesigner some better API support, we could have a great FEA mated to GMD!

A friend of mine retired from NASA about 2 years ago. He was the Chief Structural Dynamicist for quite a few programs. He has been doing such work since the Gemini program days. He hates al canned analysis programs (i.e. off-the-shelf analysis software). He almost died laughing when he saw the DST Dynamics/Simulate (so-called) Materials Properties Database. [It is pathetic in size & scope!] He was livid when he ran one of his standard test cases as to the inaccuracy of the results. His comment about FEMdesigner was, It is not too bad. Now, mind you, his comment about (Siemans) FEMAP was, Almost acceptable.