What's new

FEM Designer BETA SIGNUP

craneaero

Nobody seems to have answered the question, so here it is.
Algor Designcheck was always a simplified sub-set of Algor FEM Pro.
Algor was bought out by Autodesk some time ago and their FE program(s) have been intergrated into Autodesk Inventor Simulation Suite (mega-bucks).
Autodesk have a trial version of the FE program called Simulator Express, which is almost identical to Algor Designcheck.
It is a free download, but only works for a defined period (6 months or a year).
To my knowledge, Simulator Express is not available for purchase.

I tried it on my spare laptop and found that it works just the same as Designcheck and even loads itself as an Alibre Add-on program.

Hope this helps.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
When I needed FEM for my press machine once, I needed to be sure of the result of FEM (Design Check) so I did it manually as well, and the results were quite the same. And I made the machine and it works well, even today.

After this experience, I started doing manual simplified calculation on my design than FEM.

It's good to see my manual calculation result is not away by digits using software, but the simplified manual simulation does quite a job. And it will give a good sense because you need to understand deeply when you do the simplification of your real design for your estimation.....

Just my two cents.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
News :?:
Nobody is testing fea?

When it's ready to be tested...it will be. We are testing it internally at the moment and the whole point of the beta will be to let you guys have access to it during our extended test period as well.

Sauzer

When it's ready to be tested...it will be. We are testing it internally at the moment and the whole point of the beta will be to let you guys have access to it during our extended test period as well.
Thank you for the info Max :wink:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Max said:
It is unlikely we will gift a license of AlibreFEA to all Pro/Expert users for example. We might be introducing a new type of maintenance that would cover things like this.

Max

Just curious but will this be the reason for the $100 increase in maintenance?

Max said:
where could Algor DesignCheck be downloaded ?
or is it just theoretically and it does not exist anymore ?

It is no longer available for download since it is no longer able to be licensed. If a customer has it installed then they can obviously continue to use it. I was assuming that if it was important for a customer to have, they would have it installed.

What? I have been told over and over again for months that a replacement for Algor is on its way. Now you're telling me that I'm not going to even get the replacement?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
What? I have been told over and over again for months that a replacement for Algor is on its way. Now you're telling me that I'm not going to even get the replacement?

Nothing in the post you quoted indicated that we would not have a replacement. It is still being worked on, and the beta should be available hopefully within a few weeks. If you are asking if you will get it for free, the answer is no.

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
billyzelsnack said:
Max said:
where could Algor DesignCheck be downloaded ?
or is it just theoretically and it does not exist anymore ?

It is no longer available for download since it is no longer able to be licensed. If a customer has it installed then they can obviously continue to use it. I was assuming that if it was important for a customer to have, they would have it installed.

I think the "replacement" for Algor is the free download they now offer. (I searched "replacement"). Old or new, I think an experienced engineer would get about as much out of a calculator as the features offered by Algor. If you need it, you can get it from Algor free unless they discontinue it altogether.

I expect the FEMD "alternative" to be light years in advance of what Algor offers. Discarding a unicycle, with no seat, for a Harley I hope. Just zero trade in value on the Algor unicycle (which you get to keep anyway).

Personally I'm sweating bullets on a few things like license, price, payment options and features - oops, that's everything about FEMD :!:

Max said:

Nothing in the post you quoted indicated that we would not have a replacement. It is still being worked on, and the beta should be available hopefully within a few weeks. If you are asking if you will get it for free, the answer is no.

So Alibre removes a feature from a product that I purchased and eventually gets around to putting the feature back in the product and I don't get access to it without additional cost? I just want the functionality I paid for. I don't think I am asking too much.

btw. My previous/current dealings with support made no mention of an additional cost only that a replacement was in the works.

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
billyzelsnack said:
Max said:

So Alibre removes a feature from a product that I purchased and eventually gets around to putting the feature back in the product and I don't get access to it without additional cost? I just want the functionality I paid for. I don't think I am asking too much.

btw. My previous/current dealings with support made no mention of an additional cost only that a replacement was in the works.

Mia culpa!

But even if Alibre activated only the equivalent functionality in FEMD, of the Algor offering, it would still be the pits in usefulness to me.

rollin45

The Algor tool was of very limited use, or at least that was my experience. If one wanted to analyze one part , one solid part subjected to a strain in one axis then yeah, it was great otherwise it was just a teaser to get more licenses sold of the real product. I suspect the real product is pretty good, although since Awful Desk bought it, I have seen lots of complaints from long time users.

I am hoping for a release of something before too much longer, .... as they say, hope springs eternal.
:roll:
rollin'