What's new

File Management? Git? Something else? What are you using to stay sane?

PaulGupta

I'm trying to figure out my workflow with Alibre, as I've discovered I have a tendency to write over old versions and thus lose prior work when fiddling with dials and adjusting fit of certain designs. How do you all manage your workflows and designs?

I'm coming from Fusion360 which automatically versioned each save and let me roll back. Is that feature available or do I need to do something like manual git snapshots?

Looking forward to hearing how others achieve this or how the software supports this workflow.

Thanks!

Solution
What do you make sure to export?
Every single file in my project directories gets committed in version control when changed or added, so that's .pdf, .docx, .xlsx, .stp, .step, .ad_prt, .ad_asm, .ad_bom, .ad_drw, .ad_pkg, etc. all my keyshot textures, materials, material templates, .bip.

From a 'source' point-of-view, I don't skip any files that were used to create models or render them. If you version the 'sources', you have something to roll back to and re-edit if required.

All the 'Output' files also get commited, so that includes keyshot renders, .ad_drw drawings that are exported as a .pdf., any .step files that get distributed to customers, some get archived just in case I move away from Alibre and I need to...

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Another nice feature of M-Files that I hope Alibre emulates is that relationships between files are displayed so it is easy to see when a file is orphaned/abandoned. For example a part that was not or is no longer used in any assembly or drawing.