What's new

File-system to Repositories?

rocksvold

File-system to Repositories?

Hopefully a simple answer: I have been saving my files into a file system but I think I would like to use the repository (since my file-system is currently saving on the server :( ) Is there a way to copy my files all over into repository in one step instead of saving each one into the repository?

What would the best option be?
Thanks Alibre Design! :D

Willbur

The answer depends on how your files are set up. If you have all of the parts in an assembly, you can just open the assembly and do a save as into the repository and all of the parts will go with the assembly (you can even specify where each one goes in the save dialog. If you are moving drawings over as well, open the drawing of the part/assembly rather than the part/assembly and do the save as on that - the linked part will be saved as well (and you can specify where it's placed). You will have to do this for each drawing (AFAIK there is no other way to do it).

rocksvold

Cool. The parts are all separate files; so not an assembly.

I will probably save the ones I've been working on more frequently into repository...and just back up the others on my local drive too. No problem. Thanks. 8)

Willbur

Another thought - if there are no drawings associated with the parts yet. Create a new assembly and insert all of the parts into it (they don't need to be constrained or anything and you can insert all of the ones in the same directory at the same time - just select multiple files when you do the insert). Save this new assembly into the repository and all of the parts will go with it. Then delete the extraneous assembly from the repository.

rocksvold

Each one has a drawing already. I would like the drawings to be available in repository also. Wonder if there's a possibility of easier transfer between repository and separate file system on future version. :wink:

moyesboy

Alibre Super User

The link to the drawings is a bit of a headache.
You can gather up an assembly with its assembly drawing and all its component files into one alibre step file but the detail drawings of the individual parts are not included.
There is no easy way to collect an assembly including the detail drawings of all the parts because the parts have no record of the drawing (the drawing "looks for" the parts but the parts don't "look for" the drawing)

However if you copy all those drawings manually when you open the copy you can tell them where their parts are when they don't find them and the association will be retored.

efsf

Guys, kind of new in all this Alibre,
What's the advantage in saving drawing in the repository instead of keeping them in the file system? I see a lot of problems in the transfer so I'm wondering if saving them right now in the repository it's really something that I should consider before I start to have a lot more of drawings. (I only have about 7 parts with theirs drawings, but no assemblies for now).

wfpelletier

Re:

efsf said:
Guys, kind of new in all this Alibre,
What's the advantage in saving drawing in the repository instead of keeping them in the file system? I see a lot of problems in the transfer so I'm wondering if saving them right now in the repository it's really something that I should consider before I start to have a lot more of drawings. (I only have about 7 parts with theirs drawings, but no assemblies for now).

The main advantage of the repository is that it can save older versions of the part, assembly, or drawing. If you want to see what one of the old versions looked like, you can open any one of them in a 'read-only' mode. You can also 'roll back' a design to a previous version.

Another major advantage of the repository is that if you rename a file, any assemblies or drawings that reference that file will automatically be pointed to the new name.

Other users may think of other advantages for the repository that I haven't listed. For the things I do in Alibre, the repository is one of the most important features that the software offers.

wfpelletier