What's new

File system vs. Repository

ramirin

File system vs. Repository

I have used mostly file system because I like to know where my files are. Recently I have tried also repository, it seems to work pretty much like Alibre's internal file system. I mean local repository, not server.

What are the main reasons to use either repository or file system?
What do you use and why?
What are the benefits of repository?
Which one is more reliable?

This post is for my own interest to find out which would be better for us who don't need to access files over the internet.

indesign

Alibre Super User

For me using the file system is best due to our limited company size. I do most all the work and know the whats and wheres of everything we have.

If you wish others to have limited or no access the the repository gives some added security as well as good organization.

dave2962

Although I don't use it much, using the repository you have version control. If you make some changes you decide you don't want you can roll it back to an earlier version. I don't think you can do this using the file system.

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

Having versions is really nice. I had recently updated a print (very minor revision) when the tool room had inadvertently hosed over a part they were making for me. Although they swore that they built it to print, I was able to quickly pull up the revision they had used and proved that I was right after all. :roll:

While the world shouldn't be this way, having access to previous versions is also a good CYA.

Regards,

Jordan

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User

We like to use the Repository for work in progress as it allows renaming files quite easily. Working files during revisions is a bit easier and the version-ing is nice when you have to roll back.

Beware, I had a few files become corrupt and trash the entire history. Backup your repository often, or do periodic saves to the file system.

While work in process is done in the Repository, we publish to the file system when ready to release. It is a good backup if there are Repository problems, allows controlled release of public revisions, and provides a way to share between users when there are server problems and we are just unable to connect to each others repository (usually on a Sunday).

A tip on using the Repository, DON'T roll back to a previous version as that is destructive. Instead open older versions read only until you find the version you want, then just Save As under the same name and the new version will be added to the top of the list. It is a lot safer than rolling back too far, and you have a history of the bad/undesired versions as well.

We also use Backup On Demand for our File system, and it gives us the same versioning that is part of the Repository. We can always go back and look at a previous file system save (when enough versions are included in the backups).

Purge your Repository history periodically to keep it running fast. Do a Snapshot, and then use my script (posted in the Binaries section) to purge a folder at a time automatically. One user quit doing snapshots because it took 2 hours to finish. I introduced him to Purge.

Also, Create another Repository called Backup or Offload, and when you retire a project, copy that folder to that Repository. That way when you need it again, you can restore it to the "Backup" repository and not to your working Repository and possibly overwrite something. That way you can also have SnapShots of reasonable size and by project or sets of project files.

We keep our Repositories in a folder called AlibreRepositories on our D: drive and off the C: system drive. That way we can restore our system or reinstall Alibre without effecting our data. It is a good practice to move your data off the C: partition and maybe even onto a separate disk as well.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Repositories is the way to go if you want to share work. However, there have been many issues with the Alibre server that have caused hours of pain and headache. The repositories have disappeared. Ghost server repositories have appeared. Have had online users appear offline. Server speed has caused the sharing of work to be intolerable.

But, we understand that all of these issues will no longer exist when version 10 is released. All will be as it should.