Files are stored in M-Files vault.
I'll attach the error message.

Attachments

• 2014_File_Error.jpg
    2014_File_Error.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 36
bobster said:
Files are stored in M-Files vault.
1) I have opened and (Save As to new name or directory) reworked files going back to Alibre V9 without a problem under GMD 2014.
2) I have also received error messages that appear to be associated with a combination of GMD/Windows-7 having problems. They go away with a clean shut-down & reboot.
3) I am unlikely to ever use Vault! At least once a year one of the (several dozen) companies I do work for has an "issue" with Vault that (A) causes them to do a lot of work to recover their data and (B) forces them to recreate a not insignificant amount of the data "lost" because of an "issue" with Vault!

My first exposure to Vault was when a DoD subcontracting company was forced to recreate their entire (ProEngineer) model, drawing file, & design documentation archive from paper & PDF records after an "issue" with Vault. Several of us (insultants) got to bill them for several thousand hours of time before they restored the lost data. A little over a year ago, I did the most recent such recovery job. Over the (approximately) dozen or so years between those two opportunities I have participated in 18-20 such recovery efforts. I cannot imagine accepting such a risk.

First of all, I religiously maintain a design directory structure that segregates my work into client/project/iteration categories. (My "standards" files are similarly segregated & stored.) A (spreadsheet-based) index to my work is maintained on each client/project operation. That data is backed up across three hard-drives on three computers within my office and two "remote" systems giving me four recoverable datasets -- and two of them are located in disparate geographical areas!

And yes, I do use both a belt & suspenders to hold up my pants...

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I also have had no issue in opening earlier version files stored in the M-Files Vault.

I also backup my vault daily to a nas device as well as removable media.

A single user vault by default installs on the users machine and I lost 6 weeks work when my machine died due to not having backup properly implemented. Truly once bitten .............

Drutort

I get some type of similar error, but I simply click the X and if that doesnt work I end task, and start it up again, usually GMD first then try to open the file, it works 2nd or 3rd try :roll: a simple 2D drawing that I was opening just got stuck, and I know it takes seconds to load so I wait few min, up on clicking the X I got a similar screen with an error msg

bobster

Thanks for the replies.
I've been down in the shop and away from the computer.
Earlier versions that I archived in my Windows archive, back to version 6, opern.
Vault files are a mixed bag.
Some open OK, some much newer versions don't open.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Is M-Files server on same machine as Geomagic, or accessed via network ?