What's new

Finding constraints

Maavhamt

Hi,

When applying constraints to an object in assembly I often get the error message, "Constraint over defined". I found recently that an object had an axis created through it to which a constraint was applied but this did not show up in the object's tree in Part Explorer. It took me ages to find it. Is there a way of:

Knowing what constraints are indirectly applied to objects, e.g. through axes, points etc?
Knowing which constraints are applied to axes etc? They don't seem to have their own "segment" in Part Explorer.

Thanks

Date: 14 June 2017 16:30:25
Geomagic Design™
Geomagic Design Version:[ 2015.1.1 ] 64-bit

User name: Aisoorya Local_2
Computer name: AISOORYA
Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
Processor Information: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 2020M @ 2.40GHz
Number of Processors: 2

Microsoft .Net Framework

This is where a "Part/Assembly Definition Document" comes in handy. Reference Geometry (and the reasons for it) should have an external "place" (document) where they are defined such that, at a later date, you know why you did what you did. The same is true of Constraints. More importantly, you should Rename Reference Geometry or Constraints as they are created. Yes, it adds time to your initial work, but it pays back in spades in the future!

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Find the part in the tree and expand it. There you will see a list of constraints for that part. Makes drilling down a lot easier. I agree with Lew about renaming constraints (and everything else).

bigseb said:
I agree with Lew about renaming constraints (and everything else).
More to the point, creating a Part or Assembly "definitions document" falls into the "good things" category. I do it with a spreadsheet. That way I can have everything in one document. Worksheet 1 of my spreadsheet will contain information such as: What is the "purpose" of this Part or Assembly and under what authority started work on it (etc.). Worksheet 2 lists "drawing notes" and their justification. Worksheet 3 defines Equation Editor values. Worksheet 4 collects data for my Constraints (and their "naming"). Worksheet 5 collects Parts List data. Etc.

Nice, neat, and maintained with the Project -- all in one place!

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
Some time the inter design constant can cause problems. I delete them as soon I notice there is one.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
RocketNut said:
Some time the inter design constant can cause problems. I delete them as soon I notice there is one.
FYI your sketches will not update to match things there were projected from or constrained to then.

jfleming

Alibre Super User
RocketNut said:

Inter-Design constraints has caused me nothing but problems. It's pointless to even try using them. That being said, I've recently been experimenting with the Global Parameters and this has allowed for some pretty "intelligent" models that update accordingly and don't get messed up.