What's new

Finding parts in Design Explorer

k5man

I have imported a fairly large model from a friend who uses Inventor. The model imported well and I am checking thru his design. Since I am not intimate with his model, I have been having a little trouble locating certain parts within the assembly. I know the file names of the parts I am looking for but manually looking thru the Design Explorer has not yielded any results. I may be overlooking the part as there are many sub-assemblies.

Question is: Is there a way to get Alibre to search the Design Explorer for a given file name or part name?

rbrian

Large file assembly from Inventor

k5 - let us have a look! If you can upload the same file into the binaries section - others can download the file and import it themselves. This will let us see your issues and give you a better hand!

(Or also ask for support directly from the company - if it is a real issue - not just an oversight on your part.) Also - you could post a picture of the Design Explorer View, maybe you have some elements with '+' signs by them - indicating there is more beneath them! Robert

k5man

Robert,

Since I am not the owner of the file I am not going to post it publicly and I am not likely to get permission to do so. Besides, the model is about 17MB.

I have expanded all the sub-assemblies and parts in the DE tree. My failure to find the part may be my oversight or the part may not be there. The exercise of looking through hundreds of individual parts for a specific part begged the question I posed in my earlier post.

If there is no way to serch the DE for specific text strings then I would propose this capability be added to a future release.

Thanks for the reply.

rbrian

Searching DE Enhancement idea

Hi K5man - here is a thought - 2 actually!

1 - post your suggesting and the issue in the enhancements forum in a new topic, and
2 - put in a request with your next chat with an AA (Alibre Assistant) and an incident in your online account - with the same request - explaining how much <big file - many parts> you may need to search through - and that a 'find' feature in the DE would be a 'Very' useful addition for you. Robert.

PS - please edit your profile - and add the City, State, etc. to post with your user name on your posts!! If somebody is close - they might also be able to help you with some kind of work around in person, besides on here!

Mibe

Alibre Super User
Re:

Gaspar said:
I've always wished the DE would sort parts alphabeticaly and not in order of creation. :?

It took about six years before SolidWorks enhanced their Feature Manager (now you can group Features by type). Let's hope this is included in Alibre faster than that :)