What's new

Flat pattern from convert to sheet metal

IonSteve

Howdy folks--

When I convert the attached file via "convert to sheet metal" everything is cool until I try to unbend the flanges to make a flat pattern. When I attempt the unbend I'm getting unwanted (and unloved) notches at each flange. See attached.

Thanks to folks on this forum I previously solved a sheet metal/flange/notch issue that was kind-of-but-not-really similar and tried to apply the same fix here, but to no avail.

The original part is an import, which could have bearing on the issue, but it's such a simple geometry that I really want to believe it's just something I am doing wrong.

Unconverted part attached.

Thanks for your time and attention, all the best--

Steve

AD Expert 2012

Attachments

• New Sheet Metal Part (9).jpg
    New Sheet Metal Part (9).jpg
    103 KB · Views: 8
  • 57270003-FIXED FLAP.AD_PRT
    424.5 KB · Views: 10

GaretDH

I'm by no means an expert on sheet metal conversions.

That said, it seems like Alibre is trying to extrapolate a flange from the adjacent edges and is missing that cutout.

Was this made as a solid and then shelled, and then cut?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    193.4 KB · Views: 20

IonSteve

That said, it seems like Alibre is trying to extrapolate a flange from the adjacent edges and is missing that cutout.

It sure looks that way. I have scoured the sheet metal dialogue to see if there's a setting I've missed . . .

Was this made as a solid and then shelled, and then cut?

Dunno. It's an import from my lead engineer--he drew it up and exported it to me. I've had him send it as a STEP, and IGES and a Parasolid--no difference. It's something Alibre thinks it's supposed to be doing, not an import artifact. I think.

Steve

lamar

Is this what you are looking for? I did a Project to sketch and then added the flanges. worked fine. :D

Attachments

• pan.AD_SMP
    433.5 KB · Views: 7

Jim C

Here is the result using 2013 Beta. The bends had to be selected individually but it looks like what you want. 2012 produced the same notches that you had and also could not properly generate one of the long flanges.

Jim C

Attachments

• Screenshot (63).png
    Screenshot (63).png
    181.6 KB · Views: 46

IonSteve

Whew--thanks, gentlemen. 1) it's a relief to know that I'm not totally inept (just mostly inept) and 2) that all the problems in the world are going to go away when 2013 lands.

Thanks again--

Steve